I'm getting to love Knoppix and would like to be able to carry around a CD and an ext. USB hard drive with my data (I have a 256MB USB flash drive, but that's not enough storage). I have an old, cheap Genesys? USB 1 case with a 10GB 2.5" drive installed which I've used on Macs and Windows PCs, but the drive won't mount with Knoppix 3.3 or 3.4 with the 2.4 kernel. It will mount with the 2.6 kernel if only the usb-storage.o module is loaded, but if I load other modules Knoppix freezes while booting.
Is anyone out there sucessfully using with Knoppix 3.4 a case meeting the following:
- external USB
- bus-powered
- case for use with one's own 2.5" HD (I can't afford a whole new drive but have several loose 2.5" drives)?
If so, can you let me know the brand and model? (I don't want to boot from the HD, just mount it and transfer data.)
Alternately, any suggestions for getting the drive in my Genesys? (Gen641/Gen700) case to mount?
Many thanks.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
TerraMaster F2-210 2-Bay NAS Server Cloud Storage
$199.95
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99