-
Backup NTFS partition with Knoppix live cd?
Hmm I browsed through the forum for a bit but couldn't find something exactly like what I'm thinking. If I were to boot up with a Knoppix live cd, would there be a way for me to back up an NTFS partition to dvdrw? Since from my understanding, there isn't going to be any space for an image to be created to do the burning? For example, if I use ntfsclone ( ) and pipe this into a mkisofs and pipe that into cdrecord...something like:
Code:
ntfsclone --output ntfs.img /dev/hda1 | bzip2 -c > ntfs.img.bz2 | mkisofs -r | cdrecord dev=0,3,0 -v --eject speed=4 -
Unless mkisofs can't be fed like that..
Lol, I'm completely clueless. But say IF mkisofs can be piped to ( I dunno if it can or not ) would this be doable on a live cd where there is no space for an intermediate image?
Hmm..
-Michael Hsu
-
Senior Member
registered user
yes it should work ok, A DVD+rw can even be formated and used liek a 4.XGhdd...
dvd+rw-tools are on knoppix so... here is more info.
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
btw dvd+rw-tols work on dvd+r dvd-r and dvd-rw aswell. but only dvd+rw is possible to format as ext2, reiserfs...
-
Ah.thanks for the reply
I'll give it a try after finals. Sorry I totally forgot about posting here lol.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Ok this is what I used to make a backup..I haven't tried restoring, although I did output a portion to the ramdisk and looked through the first few lines and it looks like it may be right.
Backup:
Code:
su -c "./ntfsclone /dev/hda1 -o -" | bzip2 -c | growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom2 -stream-media-size 1000000
Restore: Assuming that everything is working...
Code:
bunzip2 -c stream.img | dd of=/dev/hda1
Also of note, if you have your ntfs mounted with captive-ntfs, be extremely careful not to use ntfsclone to dump that volume. It will fail and overwrite the volume's boot sector. Or atleast that is what I think happened to me, I had to go figure out how to restore a ntfs boot sector
If anyone is brave enough to try and confirm this, that would be good :P
-
Myself, I used Ghost which was on my eMachines reinstall CD.
What's handy is using qtparted to partition a new drive,
-
Ghost is pretty nice, but the last version I tried did not burn properly to dvd media. It would ask for next disc after 700 mb.
Similar Threads
-
By Drake in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-19-2005, 02:11 AM
-
By GaTk in forum The Lounge
Replies: 8
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 12:04 AM
-
By mconzo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
-
By bigrobot in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-03-2004, 04:15 AM
-
By raymond139 in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 09-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Lot of 9 - 1TB SSD - 8
$849.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop
$29.99