Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problems Personalizing KDE

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4

    Problems Personalizing KDE

    I have installed Knoppix on my HardDrive. I love it. After spending 14 hours trying to get RH8.0 installed (xserver would not start no matter what I did), knoppix was a refreshing change. As far as I know, all of my hardware was automatically detected and configured by Knoppix -- wireless card, video card, etc.

    My question is this -- I made a user account for myself and now when I try to make customizations to KDE, some of them are not persisted. For example, when I quit the "language choice" applet, it appears there the next time I start KDE. Another problem is that I can not modify the Konsole. I open up KDE Control Center /Personalization/KonsoleSchema and change the schema but it does not take effect. It seems to me that this is some sort of a permission issue since I can change the Konsole schema when I'm logged in as root.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Are you applying the changes you make ie. with the apply button in KDE then clicking ok to leave the settings window. For the console schema off the settings menu save settings this should work.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    10
    I also have a problem with this working. I changed the size of my fonts. The settings changed in my current session but the next time I rebooted they were lost.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    Yes, I did hit the "Apply" button

    The font settings as Stephen pointed out is another setting that gets set back to the default with each new KDE session.

    I had this problem with Mozilla not storing any bookmarks beyond the current session and fixed that by changing the group owner of the mozilla folder tree.

    Perusing around the KDE Control Center, I noticed that all the fonts are stored in the /home/knoppix/.kde/ firectory even though I am logged in as a different user (a user account that I created). For this reason it seems to me that the KDE preferences are being stored in some directory to which my user does not have permissions, and thus my settings do not get persisted beyond the current session. Can someone verify whether this is true or not, or tell me how I can verify (and hopefully change) this?

    Your help is greatly appreciated.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    10
    I've had problems with settings being saved through KDE in several different distros and this may actually have nothing to do with Knoppix specifically.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    La Porte, Tx
    Posts
    1
    Ok, my turn, and just so there is no doubt, i'm familiar with linux but am still some what of a green horn.
    ok having cleared the air , here is my question.
    i have configured linux swap, ext2 file system for /home and have atempted
    to save configuration, it saves but on reboot my kde settings seem to be lost.
    so is there something i should be doing to save them somewhere else.
    missing files or what.
    oh and i'm booting from the cd and mounting my /dev/hda3 partition

    Knoppix Rocks! But Windows Pays the Bills!

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  2. ideq 200s problems and more problems
    By lesshaste in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE

$189.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive picture

HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive

$29.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99