-
Senior Member
registered user
--Here's something I noticed right off the bat:
[[ Before I start to explain my problem I want you to know my system details:
Knoppix 3.4 HDD-Install
AMD K6 500Mhz
192MB Memory
8GB HDD (1GB Linux Swap)
Connected to Internet via DSL over Router
10Mbit LAN
]]
--First of all, an AMD K6 is not the best thing to be running a server on. Personal experience with older AMD's tells me they're flaky, and generally slower than Intels at the same speed rating. If you can get a faster (used, even) machine with an Intel (or AMD Athlon/Duron) of 800MHz or better, that would be a good step. However, I realize that $$$/resources may be limited, so I will try other suggestions as well. (My "fast" machine is currently a 900MHz AMD Duron because they were more affordable at the time, so I know whereof I speak.)
--Try enabling DMA and 32-bit mode using hdparm:
' hdparm -c1 -d1 -u1 /dev/hda '
--This should speed up the hard drive. (If you start getting DMA errors, shutdown immediately and reboot - and do not re-enable the hdparm.)
--Increase the RAM to at least 256MB, if possible. More is better. If using the machine as a server, do not run anything else on it (disable all GUI, and do not use it as a desktop machine.)
--Replace the 10MBit LAN card with 100MBit. Trust me, it makes a difference. However, you also need 100MBit infrastructure (hub/switch, cat5) to really take advantage of it. Personally, I was happy with 10mbit myself until switching to 100. Worth the investment -- 10mbit only does about 700KB/sec, while 100mbit does ~10 times that.
--Recompile your kernel. I can send you a sample config file, if you want. Especially if you're using the default one that came with an older Knoppix, it's worth your while to tweak it for your specific hardware -- you can save disk space (delete old modules after you get things working right) and memory, and compile things for your specific architecture. My Linuxtips page at the bottom of all my posts has more info on kernel recompiling.
--Outside of that, I know there are things to speedup Apache and the rest, but I don't have personal experience with them. (I'm currently only running Squid on a 233MHz Pentium-1 for my Internet needs.) Your best bet is to google around for speedup tips, and maybe find a guru in your area to also help you with config tips.
--BTW, what kind of web pages are you loading?
Similar Threads
-
By thaumielx72 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-24-2005, 05:23 PM
-
By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 04:24 PM
-
By billyjobob in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 07:17 AM
-
By rrolsbe in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM
-
By pnti in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED
$39.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678
$13.99

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module
$89.00

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001
$14.90