what is happening exactly? is it not connecting to a mirror or something?
How do I edit this file so apt-get doesn't get broken after an update and a few installs!
BTW, I'm using KNOPPIX 3.4, clusterKNOPPIX 3.4 and QUANTIAN 0.4.9.6 on debian knoppix-installed PCs. I can't get update or install to work at all in clusterKNOPPIX or QUANTIAN. Anyone know how to fix that?
TIA,
AJG
what is happening exactly? is it not connecting to a mirror or something?
Might be because of ftp2.de.debian.org being down? If so just take off the 2 as others have suggested.
I foget which site it is, but it gets stuck on there and times-out. Also, in KNOPPIX I can apt-get install just about anything I want after apt-get update (after knoppix-installer).
However, in QUANTIAN and clusterKNOPPIX, I cannot update or install. If I reinstall my PCs at home with either of these remasters, my kids will kill me if I don't apt-get install bzflag bzflag-server freecraft quake2!
TIA,
AJG
Ok the best way to do this is to get "apt-spy" from the debian packages you can google it
install that
then run
apt-spy
apt-get install base-config
apt-setup
if apt-spy isnt working out right you probably have to do
apt-spy update
then
apt-spy
still if you get problems then just get the base-config package from the debian packages site.
Great! Thanx for the info. Sounds like just what I need.
OK, I'm at home right now but I'm installing apt-spy by sshing in to one of school PCs in question. apt-spy is now running. Cool, I see what its doing. Its trying to login to known debian repositories and download a file that should be common to all. As it does this it tracks which sites timeout and makes a note to avoid these, I suppose. Also its benchmarking how fast each site is. Where does apt=spy get its list of sites, I wonder? Looks like this will take a long time....
Well, once apt-spy fixes my sources.list can I simply copy this file to all my other PCs that suffer from the same ailments or do I have to run apt-spy on each one?
BTW, after apt-spy ran, I found only 3 stable sites listed in sources.list! OK, out of force of habbit, after I switched those entries to unstable, I ran apt-get update and then installed everything I wanted! Thanx again.
Just wondering though, what apt-get install base-config would do (I skipped that step)?
TIA,
AJG

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$334.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00
LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD
$250.00
Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0" 16GB 512GB, BLACK
$285.99
Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 3 14" 32GB 512GB, BLACK
$432.00