Quote Originally Posted by bob58
I have replaced my KNOPPIX 3.3 with 2.4 on my Gateway laptop
Assuming you mean Knoppix v3.4...

Quote Originally Posted by bob58
But when I install KNOPPIX, how does it know to install my HOME driectory to the 3rd partition I made for HOME??????
When using the "knoppix-installer" script, it allows you to set all sorts of parameters before actually performing the install (choice 1: Configure Installation). After you do that, instead of performing the installation, choose 5: Save config, and then 6: Quit.

The default configuration file is named /root/.knofig, although you can choose your own location & filename.

Edit that file, and you will see a section that looks like this. Add the partition you want /home on. (Here I'm using /dev/hdb1.)
Code:
#Here you can give additional mappings. (Experimental!) You need to have the partitions formatted yourself and give the correct mappings like: "/dev/hda4:boot /dev/hda5:var /dev/hda6/tmp"
HD_MAP:"/dev/hdb1:/home"
Then rerun "knoppix-installer" and load your configuration file (choice 4), and perform the installation if everything else is to your liking.

"knofig" is well-commented, so you may want to change other things there.

P.S. I'd make your /home partition a bit smaller and your / partition a bit bigger, if you plan on installing stuff.