In our LAN are some computers running Windows with a firewall which blocks port 445. So the programs smbclient and smbmount are waiting for a long time for aan answer at this port which never arrive. To overcome this I have written two wrapper scripts which work very well (for me):
smbclient:
-- begin
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/smbclient "$@" -k -p 139
-- end
smbmount:
--begin
#!/bin/sh
SMBPAR=""
OPTPAR=0
OPTCNT=0
for PAR in $@; do
if [ $OPTPAR -eq 0 ]; then
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR $PAR"
else
for (( I=1; I<10; I=I+1 )); do
SUBPAR=`echo $PAR | cut -d ',' -f $I`
if [ "$SUBPAR" == "" ]; then
break
fi
NAME=`echo $SUBPAR | cut -d '=' -f 1`
if [ "$NAME" != "workgroup" ] && [ "$NAME" != "ip" ] && [ "$NAME" != "krb" ]; then
if [ $OPTCNT -gt 0 ]; then
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR,$SUBPAR"
else
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR $SUBPAR"
OPTCNT=1
fi
fi
done
fi
if [ "$PAR" == "-o" ]; then
OPTPAR=1
fi
done
if [ $OPTPAR -eq 0 ]; then
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR -o port=139"
else
if [ $OPTCNT -eq 0 ]; then
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR port=139"
else
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR,port=139"
fi
fi
/usr/bin/smbmount $SMBPAR,sockopt="SO_SNDBUF=8192,SO_RCVBUF=8192,gue st"
-- end
Just create two file smbclient and smbmount in /usr/local/bin and make them executable. You can still use the original programs. You just have to specify the full path.
By the way a very good program for viewing Windows and samba shares is smb4k. Would be nice to have it on a Knoppix CD.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$99.00
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$236.00
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$7.99
TESLA OEM Model S,3,X,Y USB Flash Drive for Dashcam 128GB READ DESCRIPTION BELOW
$22.00
Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick
$165.90