-
Knoppix fails to boot into KDE from HD -- this used to work
I am having a very strange problem with Knoppix today. When I turned on my computer this morning, it failed to boot into KDE.
I installed knoppix on my HD a few days ago and have been running it since with no problems. Just today it will not boot into KDE and has strange problems. When trying to boot into KDE, the screen flickers for about 3 times as if it were trying to change the graphics mode but can't find one that the machine supports. The weird thing is that I was running KDE just fine yesterday night -- I never had any problems with the graphics mode before.
The other strange thing about the boot is that after I log in, the machine prints out a message such as "no permission for: /dev/null/" or somethign like that line after line in an endless loop -- I have to hit CTRL-C to make it stop.
Is this behavor that someone has seen before? What should I try short of reinstalling everything?
-
Run df and look if the partition for root has free space
- once I was shocked, too - as my Debian wouldn't start
X anymore 
Hope that is your problem, too - greetings
rob
-
During boot I get messages like:
/etc/init.d/rcS: line 7: /dev/null: Read-only file system
Then, at loggin I get an endless loop of:
bash: /dev/null: Read-only file system
I checked the amount of free space on my partition and I have almost 15 Gigs left -- so it's not a space issue.
Any help would be appreciated,
--Maciej
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix fails to boot into KDE from HD -- this used to w
--When's the last time you did apt-get update / upgrade?

Originally Posted by
maciejz
I am having a very strange problem with Knoppix today. When I turned on my computer this morning, it failed to boot into KDE.
I installed knoppix on my HD a few days ago and have been running it since with no problems. Just today it will not boot into KDE and has strange problems. When trying to boot into KDE, the screen flickers for about 3 times as if it were trying to change the graphics mode but can't find one that the machine supports. The weird thing is that I was running KDE just fine yesterday night -- I never had any problems with the graphics mode before.
The other strange thing about the boot is that after I log in, the machine prints out a message such as "no permission for: /dev/null/" or somethign like that line after line in an endless loop -- I have to hit CTRL-C to make it stop.
Is this behavor that someone has seen before? What should I try short of reinstalling everything?
Similar Threads
-
By julan in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-07-2004, 07:54 AM
-
By vitoprimo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 10:04 PM
-
By lawkie in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-20-2004, 02:04 PM
-
By PigPen in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-18-2003, 04:54 AM
-
By srowe in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-28-2003, 10:43 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01