To configure your network card press the penquin icon on the taskbar next to Kmenu. Then select Network/Internet > Network card configuration. Select your card wich is mostly eth0 > then select dhcp.
Hopefully this will help you out.
Help, I don't know where to go about finding a "device manager" in Linux.
I don't know what my NIC is, (Other then imbedded).
My NIC gets discovered and works great in live boot, but not in knx2hd install.
How do I fix it and configure it? Please explain in detail. I don't know Linux shortcuts yet.
To configure your network card press the penquin icon on the taskbar next to Kmenu. Then select Network/Internet > Network card configuration. Select your card wich is mostly eth0 > then select dhcp.
Hopefully this will help you out.
Nope, It said that there were no supported network cards found.
My problem is that it isn't even being detected. Yet if I boot from the cd it works perfect.
before you do what pulsar said you need to load the card's driverOriginally Posted by Hunkah
do a modprobe driver_name
I am assuming you know the name of the driver ...
If this was a windows OS I could do everything in a heart beat.
I am new to *nix in every way!
I don't even have my feet wet yet. I am doing this install for the first real time. I actually intend to use this one.
I don't know the driver name, nor the NIC manufacturer. It is an on board NIC. I was hoping to get some information on how to find out what Knoppix CD knows, that the knx2hd install doesn't.
Anyone know how to find out that information? Wanna tell me how to find it.
Is there a device manager in Linux? Is there a command in the command line that would tell me?
When I find out the driver name how do I install it in the knx2hd?
No devicemanager, but a commandline:
should help.Code:lspci | grep Ethernet
lspci: LiSt PCI
|: don't show the output, but send it to the next command, which is:
grep: grep grabs a token (Ethernet) in the input, and prints the line, containing the token to the screen.
For me it looks like this:
00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
If there is no output, call lspci without grep. You might detect the device.
The next step will be to try to load the kernelmodule, which is for me
- but step by step...Code:modprobe 8139too
So far so good. I loaded knoppix from the disk and did what you said, now I have some information for you.
Here is my NIC info:
0000:00:06.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 02)
But now what do I need to do to get it up and running on the HD install?
My next step was to search for the token '82557' in the kernel-sources:
grep is a command-line search utility.Code:cd /usr/src/linux grep -R 82257 * 2>/dev/null
-R means: recursively, look in the subdirectorys
82257 is the expression to search for
* is the filepattern: every file
2>/dev/null means: send errormessages (2=erroroutput, 1=normal output) to /dev/null, a phantom-device which means 'nowhere' (so it will not been sent to the console).
Grep finds matches in:
I would guess the eepro100 is apropriate. We could read the sourcecode now, or simply test.Code:drivers/net/eepro100.c drivers/net/e100.c drivers/pci/devlist.h drivers/pci/pci.ids
I would prefer a simple test:
should show, if one of these drivers is actually loaded.Code:lsmod | grep eepro100 lsmdo | grep e100
If none of these is loaded, I would try to load one of them, and perhaps - if errors occur, the other:
(as root
No output indicates success.Code:modprobe eepro100 modprobe e100
Next step on success is setup:
But now I wait for your response.Code:ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 up
Note: The driver could be compiled into the kernel, which would lead to no response when 'lsmod' is called, and maybe to an error, when 'modprobe' is called.
Originally Posted by user unknown
That needn't be a problem.I didn't get this output at all, it just paused for a few seconds and then I got the empty prompt.
Your installation is just without the kernel-sources, but the driver might be there though.
The installed driver should be in /lib/modules/2.x.y/...somewhere
with x.y as your major-minor kernel-numbers.
should show you without searching.Code:locate eepro100 locate e100
Trying the next steps - lsmod (not lsmdo -sorry) and modprobe will tell you, if they don't find the driver.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99
M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM
$550.00
Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B
$299.00
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98