Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Script to Regenerate fstab

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    53

    Script to Regenerate fstab

    I know I found it here before, but darned if I can find it now.

    What's the command-line script that looks around your system and refreshes your fstab file?

    And so I can find it again next time I forget, some keyphrases: make new fstab, fix fstab, update fstab, change fstab, redo fstab, alter fstab, modify fstab, script for fstab, debian script for fstab . . .

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    john@niglo:~$ apropos fstab
    endfsent (3) - handle fstab entries
    fstab (5) - static information about the filesystems
    getfsent (3) - handle fstab entries
    getfsfile (3) - handle fstab entries
    getfsspec (3) - handle fstab entries
    nfs (5) - nfs fstab format and options
    setfsent (3) - handle fstab entries
    updfstab ( - update /etc/fstab to reflect removable devices
    john@niglo:~$


    One of these may be what you want: I've not the time now, but a man (whatever) may clarify.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    53
    How apropos. Yes, that's it (why didn't I see it there before?) -- thanks!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Script to Regenerate fstab

    Quote Originally Posted by unamiccia
    I know I found it here before, but darned if I can find it now.

    What's the command-line script that looks around your system and refreshes your fstab file?

    And so I can find it again next time I forget, some keyphrases: make new fstab, fix fstab, update fstab, change fstab, redo fstab, alter fstab, modify fstab, script for fstab, debian script for fstab . . .

    Thanks for your help!
    I think what you are looking for is /usr/bin/rebuildfstab. After you do a hd install and you plug in say a usb hd or flash device all you need to do is run rebuildfstab and the device will be placed in /etc/fstab and then you can mount it.

Similar Threads

  1. Which script adds these lines to fstab?
    By knopx4me in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 03:53 PM
  2. Problem when moving New Fstab to the Old Fstab to fix Suse
    By cheetahman in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
  3. Regenerate the apt configuration files
    By gnarvaja in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 12:51 AM
  4. etc/fstab: what should be in it?
    By digiSal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 04:41 PM
  5. fstab
    By rmayer1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 08:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$305.01



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$99.00



FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US picture

FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US

$349.00