I tried to reinstall,
when I boot from the CD all is English,
but after the HD install apt-get, fsck, etc is German???
Anyway to change the lang of console programs?
Installed 3.4 to the HD using sudo knoppix-installer,
after booting with knoppix lang=us from a EN iso.
Most of the install is English, kde menu etc, but apt-get is German and when it checked the HD during boot it was German as well, so is the desktop background.
Any suggestions?
I tried to reinstall,
when I boot from the CD all is English,
but after the HD install apt-get, fsck, etc is German???
Anyway to change the lang of console programs?
Found this from some time back, it worked.
The fix is easy as root edit (or if necessary make) the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file and use your country's info, here is my US-english file:
LANG="en_US"
COUNTRY="US"
LANGUAGE="en"
CHARSET="iso8859-1"
XMODIFIERS=""
Rebooted and all is German again...
The reboot seems to be rewriting the files in /etc/sysconfig .Files like knoppix, i18n all have DE references again.
Anyone?
edit /etc/lilo.conf
add a new ´cheatcode´
append= "lang=us
run
lilo -v
Thanks Oscar!
I boot from floppy, how can I recreate the boot flooppy with the new lilo info?
just put a floppy in the drive an do lilo -M /dev/floppy
if things do not work out post your lilo.conf here.
my guess is that lilo already is pointing to the floppy.
the boot= part is where t lilo is to be installed, on the simulated lilo.conf above that is floppy.# LILO configuration file
# Start LILO global section
something
somethingelse
somethingelseagain
boot = /dev/fd0
things
morethings...
from man lilo.conf
Code:boot=<boot-device> Sets the name of the device (e.g. a hard disk par- tition) that contains the boot sector. If this key- word is omitted, the boot sector is read from (and possibly written to) the device that is currently mounted as root. A raid installation is initiated by specifying a RAID1 device as the boot device; e.g., "boot=/dev/md0". Note that LILO version 22.0 and later operate differently from earlier versions with respect to the actual location of the boot records.
Hi,
I have same problem - english GUI and german terminal!
The alteration to lilo looks interesting but I am booting via the DOS program 'loadlin'. For example, to boot knoppix I use:
loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro
I don't think that 'boot' codes can be passed via 'loadlin' - but I could well be wrong!
Is there a way to change the terminal language in the configuration files?
Regards,
OK, so I am an idiot!
A quick google search gave the answer - on a knoppix.net forum! Weird though, although google found it here, the forum's search facility did not.
Anyway, in case another loadlin user is reading, the answer to my question (and a whole lot more) can be found here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22512
Bye for now!

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.15
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$199.00
Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -
$60.00
1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99
Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US
$41.30