Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 2.6 kernel ok in cdboot NOT in hdinstall

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7

    2.6 kernel ok in cdboot NOT in hdinstall

    Hi,

    Need assistance getting 2.6.6 kernel to boot ok after Hdinstall. I have no problems whatsoever booting from cd to the 2.6.6 kernel using knoppix26 lang=us dma parameters. Not a single bad message. HOWever after doing a hdinstall, I get nothing but problems booting the 2.6.6 kernel. It locks up after trying to do some some usb stuff. The 2.4.26 kernel boots fine after the hdinstall (it does however try to load usb stuff numereous times). I'm using the 5/16/2004 knoppix.

    I have tried almost every cheat code combination possible in lilo.conf. Is there some way to modify the boot up sequence of the hdinstall to be identical or similiar to the cd boot sequence. The cd boot to the 2.6.6 kernel gives me no problems at all and I'm now trying figure out a way to make the hdinstall bootup sequence similiar to the cd boot up sequence. My hardware is an ispiron 8600 laptop with the ati 9600 pro video chip.

    Some additional Info:
    cd boots fine with both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels with no bad messages.
    2.4 kernel boots ok after hdinstall.

    I think it may have to do with the hotplug system, though hotplug seems to work fine from a cdboot into the 2.6 kernel. Is there a way to turn off coldplug in hotplug with some config value somewhere?

    Thanks in advance.

    PS previous version of 3.4 2.6.5 kernel booted fine after hdinstall.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    80
    Hei

    I had trouble with the 'Debian' install, but managed to install 2.6 using 'Beginner mode'. Snag is I'm not 100% sure what I've got, and no one seems able to say!

    For example, Alsa sound works fine, alsamixer is there, but iecset and amixer aren't ..and I ended up with catch 22 apt-get trouble when trying to add alsa-utils


    Hopefully there will be a new version shortly which will install Debian mode reliably.

    regards

    EDIT: I removed alsa-base, which was part of the catch 22 with apt-get, and installed alsa-utils directly from the alsa.org site. Then iecset allowed me to
    '# iecset set rate' to 44100 and spdif sound is now perfect..

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7

    Hmm forgot to say what install method I used.

    I used the debian install using the k2hd script or something the other. Still monkeying around. Don't have as much time as I used to. Some coming across other problems with 2.4.26 kernel hd boot. No showstoppers. Just in case anyone has any problems with the built in wifi in inspiron, looks like 2.4.26 sometimes loads prism2_usb module and sometimes not. Problem is it interferes with ndiswrapper modules that I use to run centrino wifi.

    Definitely this one needs some work still. I agree with previous poster.

    Thanks for any assistance.

Similar Threads

  1. help with hdinstall [v3.6]
    By ultima in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 05:15 AM
  2. knx-hdinstall??
    By Stackout in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 05:13 AM
  3. Knx-hdinstall
    By Abehome in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 04:20 AM
  4. 2.1gb enough for hdinstall?
    By thadk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 04:25 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer picture

Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer

$72.00



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer System w/ AC Adap - Powers On -UNTESTED picture

Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer System w/ AC Adap - Powers On -UNTESTED

$84.99



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works picture

VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works

$148.75



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99