Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: internet won't work - possible fix

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    internet won't work - possible fix

    I was just searching the forums when I came across a post from mister Klaus Knopper himself. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but hopefully this will help alot of people who are using DHCP to get their internet back up after a hdd install.

    The harddisk-installed system is a "normal" Debian. You have to add the
    lines

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dynamic dhcp
    I think this should be in the FAQ (if it was I missed it)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I gave it a try and it works execpt you do not need the "dynamic" in the line ( at least on KnoppixKDE ) it gives you a to many parameters error when you restart the network. Your right I never seen this anywhere in the FAQ when I had this problem luckily I could use my static settings.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    12

    AND THAT WOULD BE....

    Any chance of letting the rest of us know WHICH file needs to be modified?

    Greg

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    The file is /etc/network/interfaces I added the line iface eth0 inet dhcp and commented out the static settings I already had. To re-start the network /etc/init.d/networking restart.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lelystad the Netherlands
    Posts
    7
    Greg,
    it is the following file:


    /etc/network/interfaces

    ad the this line as the told you before

    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    and it should work (a searched for hours for this )

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    What do you mean by "internet doesn't work" ?

    I ask because I just installed Knoppix to my hard drive last night.

    I can connect to ISP, but I can get to any web sites.......even google.

    Is the advice offered in this thread germane to my issue?

    While I ran the install script I said no to "dhcp" not understanding what the option was, will this have a bearing on my problem?

    I also said "no" to the options of having many servers started as I will be running Knoppix as a desktop and not a server.

    Could these choices have anything to do with my "internet problem" ?

    Thanks in advance

    Steve

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Sounds like you don't have a name server in your /etc/resolv.conf file check by opening a console and entering vi /etc/resolv.conf there should be at least one line with nameserver 123.456.789.01 ( whatever the number is for your name server from your ISP ). It wouldn't hurt to check /etc/network/interfaces to make sure your settings are right there also. After you make any changes you will have to re-start the network, to make these changes you will have to be root user.

    In answer to your questions no it does not matter that you did not start the servers it asked for in the setup they do not have anything to do with access to the internet. The part that matters is the answers you gave after you declined the dhcp option and if you gave the correct settings for your IP address, gateway, nameserver, etc... , this is what allows you to access the internet.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Sounds like you don't have a name server in your /etc/resolv.conf file check by opening a console and entering vi /etc/resolv.conf there should be at least one line with nameserver 123.456.789.01 ( whatever the number is for your name server from your ISP ). It wouldn't hurt to check /etc/network/interfaces to make sure your settings are right there also. After you make any changes you will have to re-start the network, to make these changes you will have to be root user.

    In answer to your questions no it does not matter that you did not start the servers it asked for in the setup they do not have anything to do with access to the internet. The part that matters is the answers you gave after you declined the dhcp option and if you gave the correct settings for your IP address, gateway, nameserver, etc... , this is what allows you to access the internet.

    I got part of the problem fixed.

    I made the alterations described in the original post to the thread. I also set up an account in kppp but chose dynamic DNS instead of manual.

    I am able to use kppp to connect from the knoppix account.

    I would really like to be able to connect from the account I made for myself ( "steve").

    I added "steve" to the knoppix group via usermod -G. I then chmoded kppp to 777.

    I can bring up kppp as "steve" but for some reason I am not able to select "dyanmic DNS" in the kppp set up when I am logged in as "steve"

    Steve

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Get Internet to Work--3.6 Live CD
    By dylan000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 06:47 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.4 on VMware and getting internet to work
    By Bonzo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 01:42 PM
  3. internet works but doesn't work.
    By drg55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 12:47 PM
  4. INTERNET: Mazilla+Konquektor= DON'T WORK
    By Maximus in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 12:01 AM
  5. Getiing the internet to work.
    By reub2000 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2003, 11:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Mellanox 655874-B21  655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678 picture

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678

$13.99



10GbE 10GFC SFP+ LC SW 850nm IBM 78P1661 31P1549 Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL-IK Qty 8 picture

10GbE 10GFC SFP+ LC SW 850nm IBM 78P1661 31P1549 Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL-IK Qty 8

$88.00



Cisco Meraki OEM MA-SFP-1GB-LX10 1000Base-LX 1GbE SFP Module 1310nm 10km SMF LC picture

Cisco Meraki OEM MA-SFP-1GB-LX10 1000Base-LX 1GbE SFP Module 1310nm 10km SMF LC

$95.00