I got Knoppix3.4 up and running on my desktop in no-time. But the problems started when I wanted to use it on my laptop: Toshiba Satellite pro4600. I will list my problems beginning with my primary problem (DHCPnetworking problem).
Netwronking
- DHCP-broadcast doesnt seem to work on my laptop (I started knoppix26)! If I run ifconfig I only see the local loopback. I want to connect to the internet by dynamically receive an IP from either a NAT or a DHCPserver (which works fine with my Desktop and K3.4). any ideas what is wrong here?
During startup:
- after the:
it just stops loading. I solved this by using the knoppix26 chat-code. Does anyone have an idea what the problem with the normal kernel is?ACPI Bios found, activating modules: ac battery button fan processor thermal
- When I use my USB-pendrive it just stops loading after:
. No solutions found yet...Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...
Old version 3.3
My first linux contact was with Knoppix3.3 and it worked GREAT on both machines but I never found out how to get the correct screen resolution for my laptop, without having to use the cheatcode: "xmodule=fbdev fb1024x768" so a tip on that one would be nice aswell!I tried the screen resolution option within the configuration-panel of KDE. It worked when I stored my configuration files on a floppy, but it would not when I stored my config on the same drive as my homedir (the rest of the config stayed though).
A LOT of questions I know... but I'm eager to learn and maybe help some noobs when I master this great O.S. so if anyone can solve my DHCP problem I would b really grateful!
Wimmel, the linux N00B but certainly a Linux FAN!
P.S. Excuse my bad English!![]()

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120
$69.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$489.92