Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: fstab & previous home partition

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3

    fstab & previous home partition

    Hi!
    I've installed knoppix 3.4 and it's great, but I have two little problems. I had Knoppix 3.3 in my HD with a home partition (/dev/hda5) and It worked fine but when i've installed 3.4 version i can't make that home partition mounts alone. I must enter with de root user and mount it before... and I don't like that :P
    The second one is that I would like to configure a FAT32 partition(/dev/hda6) to mount automatically, but I can't.
    This is my fstab file:

    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda4 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda5 /home ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 vfat rw,users,auto,exec,umask=000 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0




    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda3 none swap defaults 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    I think your /home line should read:

    /dev/hda5 /home ext3 auto,defaults 0 2

    Your hda5 looks right though, and should be mounted automatically...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    17

    Re: fstab & previous home partition

    I have a similar setup and had this problem when I upgraded to 3.4.

    In essence the problem was that the hdinstall startup scripts were not automounting the partions listed in fstab.

    There is a utility in the KDE System menu which you can use to fix this; I think it's called System Configurator, System Startup or something like that (sorry I'm not at my Linux box at the moment).

    You need to add the "mountall" script (listed on the left-hand side) to the startup process for runlevel 0, right after knoppix-hdautoconfig

    To come up with this solution I did some reading about how Linux starts up (if you're interested look for man pages on initrd and rc.d). The man pages tell you how to configure the startup sequence at the command line, but I later found out there's a GUI interface in KDE to do the same thing.

    The fstab file you posted looks right, except that the last digit for /dev/hda5 should be 2 instead of 1 as noted by baldyeti (this number apparently determines the order your partitions should be backed up; the man page for fstab says something like "root partition should be 1, other partitions to back up should be 2, and partitions to ignore should be 0"). I think the default is for partitions to be auto-mounted, so writing "auto,defaults" has the same effect as writing "defaults".

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    17

    Re: fstab & previous home partition

    Oops, sorry it looks like I got confused with that post... now I'm at home with my Knoppix computer in front of me I can read my log of what I actually did...

    I don't think you can do it with the GUI program after all (which, by the way, is called SysV-Init Editor).

    You should use these terminal commands:
    Code:
    su root
    ln -s /etc/init.d/mountall.sh /etc/rcS.d/S39mountall
    Once you reboot your two partitions should be automatically mounted.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    Hi!
    Thank you for your answers. I've tried the baldyeti's one but It doesn't work and now I will try the Oliver's one.
    (Sorry but my english is too bad :P)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    It works!!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. how should i partition my HD (presistent Home, Swap).
    By violent in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 02:16 AM
  2. Partition /home
    By al.rovelli in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 12:56 AM
  3. xfs home partition (with the cd)
    By guillaumecote in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 05:12 PM
  4. Accessing my home dirctory on / partition
    By mr_dellarenta in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 02:24 PM
  5. Creating Separate Home partition?
    By jdong in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 06:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit picture

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit

$199.99



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Lot 43 Mixed Brands Micron MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 RAM picture

Lot 43 Mixed Brands Micron MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 RAM

$649.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Mixed Lot of 248 SAMSUNG 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 M393B1K70CH0-CH9Q5 Server RAM picture

Mixed Lot of 248 SAMSUNG 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 M393B1K70CH0-CH9Q5 Server RAM

$1999.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Micron 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA-ED2-11 ECC MTA9ASF2G72AZ-3G2B1ZI picture

Micron 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA-ED2-11 ECC MTA9ASF2G72AZ-3G2B1ZI

$299.99



Pair Samsung 32GB (2x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-21300 DDR4-2666V REG ECC Server Memory Ram picture

Pair Samsung 32GB (2x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-21300 DDR4-2666V REG ECC Server Memory Ram

$109.95



G. SKILL 32GB UDIMM 2400 MHz PC4-19200 DDR4 SDRAM Memory (F42400C15Q32GRK) picture

G. SKILL 32GB UDIMM 2400 MHz PC4-19200 DDR4 SDRAM Memory (F42400C15Q32GRK)

$150.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00