Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: new knoppix user, please help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2

    new knoppix user, please help

    Hi all

    I am incredibly new to linux and would apprecaite a little help please.

    Having been interested in moving away from MS products for some time (and gradually doing so with open office, thunderbird, firefox) I have decided to go the whole hog and go for linux OS. So I bought a mag which has 3 live linux cds on, one of which is knoppix.

    Have loaded up the CD fine and was very suprised. For some reason I expected linux to be command prompt based but it's suprisingly windowsy.

    Anyway, back to the point. I haven't a clue how to use it! anyone know a good "how to" site they can reccommend please?

    Also, whilst my mouse works in that I can wiggle it around and the pointer moves, knoppix doesn't respond to any clicks. could this be a driver issue? if so how do I rectify this as I assume I will need to install the drivers each time I load the CD. Or can I save settings in a folder on my HD and use it when I load knoppix?


    I don't want to install knoppix to my HD just yet as I am told that one man's linux is another man's poison and want to get a feel for linux, try out a few distros ad then install the one with which I am most comfortable.
    TIA

    Tas

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7
    You should try another kind of mouse and if you dont know there are good tuts at knoppix.net/docs

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2

    Thanks for the response

    Sorry for the delay in mine.

    Am now using a USB mouse which is working fine, but now am having problems with my modem. I have downloaded linux drivers for it but have no idea how to install them. They are zipped so I have tried to extract them but just get a load of icons on the desktop and don't know what to do next.

    Any ideas, please?

    Modem is a sagem 800 f@st.

    TIA

    Tas

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11

    Re: new knoppix user, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by Tasslehoff Burrfoot
    Anyway, back to the point. I haven't a clue how to use it! anyone know a good "how to" site they can reccommend please?
    Tas
    See:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Jackson, MS, USA
    Posts
    25

    Re: Thanks for the response

    Quote Originally Posted by Tasslehoff Burrfoot
    but now am having problems with my modem. I have downloaded linux drivers for it but have no idea how to install them. They are zipped so I have tried to extract them but just get a load of icons on the desktop and don't know what to do next.

    Any ideas, please?

    Modem is a sagem 800 f@st.
    In addition to seconding the recommendations for reading up on some linux newbie documentation, I'll ask a probing question or two.

    In the files you extracted (sounds like you extracted them well, enough, although I like to download them into a new directory or put the downloaded file into one before extraction to avoid the clutter problem), do you see files with names like README or text-looking files with "install" or some such in the title? Many such downloads will contain at least some very basic (if not always obvious) documentation tucked away inside, at least to get you started.

    And sometimes you can find a FAQ or similar document on the site where you downloaded the files to help out.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Is it possible to install driver for modem in Live CD mode? I think it is not. Only after installation on HDD.

Similar Threads

  1. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  2. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
  3. Added Another User but New user Cannot WebBrowse
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 05:47 AM
  4. How to set new user to be like default Knoppix user?
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
  5. Knoppix User password for "Knoppix" user
    By CyberBug84 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2003, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$379.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99