-
Remastering 3.4 - ISOLINUX booting problem, image not found
Hi folks, I'll try to be as brief as possible and hope this thread consolidates the issues on booting process for 3.4 remastering.
Here is the setup (following the howto convention) I've hd-installed 3.4 and doing the remastering on the hd
Source tree:
mkdir /mnt/sdb2/knx/source
mkdir /mnt/sdb2/knx/source/KNOPPIX
cp -pR /cdrom/boot /mnt/sdb2/knx/source/
since booted from the hd, the cdrom does not contain the rootfs. Copy the compressed file to disk
cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /mnt/sdb2/knx
Create a folder to mount
mkdir /mnt/sdb2/compressed
Load cloop and mount the compressed FS
insmod cloop file=/mnt/sdb2/knx/KNOPPIX
mount -o ro /dev/cloop /mnt/sdb2/knx/compressed/
Copy everything from compressed fs to source tree under KNOPPIX
cp -pR /compressed/ /mnt/sdb2/knx/source/KNOPPIX/
Now chroot to /mnt/sdb2/knx/source/KNOPPIX
if /dev/null errors occur, go edit fstab and add suid to mount options for /mnt/sdb2/ (in my case) This is covered in the Howto.
RootFS coppied unmount it.
umount /mnt/sdb2/knx/compressed.
rmmod cloop.
Now we have
/mnt/sdb2/knx/source/boot
/mnt/sdb2/knx/source/boot/isolinux/ (and files there)
/mnt/sdb2/knx/source/KNOPPIX/ (the root file system with /boot, /etc, /usr... etc etc)
Create a placeholder for remastered cd
mkdir /mnt/sdb2/knx/master
copy boot from cdrom
cp -pR /cdrom/boot /mnt/sdb2/knx/master/
create KNOPPIX root
mkdir /mnt/sdb2/knx/master/KNOPPIX
and with mc copy everything from /cdrom/KNOPPIX/ to /mnt/sdb2/knx/master/KNOPPIX/ except that ~700MB KNOPPIX file.
Assuming that we have done remastering installed and uninstalled programs in the chroot of /mnt/sdb2/knx/source/KNOPPIX which I did not do to see if everything will be ok at the first place so I did not touch anything yet.
We now have to create the compressed file KNOPPIX from source to master. (right?)
The command for that is
mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -P "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/sdb2/knx/source/KNOPPIX | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 >/mnt/sdb2/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
Go and verify you have the large file in /mnt/sdb2/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
Now we will create the CD iso. with boot sector.
cd /mnt/sdb2/knx/master/
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/sdb2/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/sdb2/knx/master
After a while we'll end up with knoppix.iso in /mnt/sdb2/knx/
Burn it and boot with it.
Here comes the problem. After booting The screen says
ISOLNUX 2.04 (Debian, ...date..) (version info and author...)
Could not find kernel image: linux
boot:
Any thoughts?
I didn't touch the miniroots under /boot/isolinux namely minirt24.gz and minirt26.gz Which I would like to customize too. But I could not create a bootable cd at the fisrt place.
Is there anything I'm missing.
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers.
-
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Remastering 3.4 - ISOLINUX booting problem, image not fo

Originally Posted by
mustang
Here comes the problem. After booting The screen says
ISOLNUX 2.04 (Debian, ...date..) (version info and author...)
Could not find kernel image: linux
boot:
Any thoughts?
I've successfully created a bootable remastering from 3.4; I've followed the instructions you can find at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto
The only difference I can see is that I've booted from CD instead of installing it to HD and doing the work from there. Sorry not to have an idea about your problem
-
hi..
hi..
i found a answer...
isolinux giving message : "could not find kernel image: linux"
because isolinux cant find right config file and image file and trying to open default image file "linux".
i am useing nonenglish keyboard and character set ( Turkish ).
my config and image files looking after making iso like this:
isoconfig.cfg -> ysoconfyg.cfg
initrd.gz -> ynytrd.gz
vmlinux -> vmlynux
i tryed with english charakter set and problem is solved. 
thanks.....
Aykut
Similar Threads
-
By Scorpaen in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-08-2005, 09:31 PM
-
By irsirius in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 06:17 PM
-
By acaro in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 03:07 AM
-
By ahz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:23 PM
-
By kulwen in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99