Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: laptop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8

    laptop

    I read whatever I thought would be appropriate on the faqs, but am lost. I can not boot knoppix.
    I have a dell Lattitude CSx
    I would like to keep pcmcia seeing how my nic is on it.
    I am trying to boot via a modular CDROM
    how far I get
    Code:
    Welcome to the KNOPPIZ live Linux-on-CD!
    
    Enabling DMA acceleartion for hda    [stuff]
    Enabling DMA acceleration for hdc     [TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1802B]
    Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0 (hang)
    it does nothing else, please help me

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    There is a laptop-forum, a few lines down in the forum-menu.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8

    Re: laptop

    surpisingly enouhg I missed that & I actually looked

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8

    Re: laptop

    *edit*
    double post

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8
    Well I tried booting the disc on a different pc, it just gets to the Penguin and doesnt say anything and freezes, its a pentium 2, 512 ram, usb2 card, nic, ide controller, lots of stuff on the ide controller and usb2 card, what should I do

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedelf1
    Well I tried booting the disc on a different pc, it just gets to the Penguin and doesnt say anything and freezes, its a pentium 2, 512 ram, usb2 card, nic, ide controller, lots of stuff on the ide controller and usb2 card, what should I do
    Sounds like you maybe have a bad disk.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8
    re downloaded it with a different computer and burnt it with a different burner, outta my brother's collection of blanks different brand purchased at a different times, and it still happens the same way on both computers

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Still really sounds like a problem with the disk. There is some rare problems with certain brands of CD-ROM drives but I have an older Toshiba laptop & it reads the disk just fine so I doubt if it's that. You did burn the disk a an iso image, not just a regular data CD, right? You must have, I don't think it will even get that far if you didn't.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    Try disabling dma with 'knoppix nodma' at the boot prompt.

Similar Threads

  1. Laptop is getting very, very hot
    By matbehns in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:34 PM
  2. Thanks!! (about laptop)
    By objectconstant in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
  3. New Laptop, need some help
    By WolfCub in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 09:51 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 08:45 AM
  5. New Laptop
    By drlizau in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Microsoft Mouse Green-Eyed Rare Vintage  picture

Original Microsoft Mouse Green-Eyed Rare Vintage

$300.00



Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse picture

Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse

$159.95



Vintage HP-85A Series 80 Computer Hewlett Packard Working Powers On + Case RAM picture

Vintage HP-85A Series 80 Computer Hewlett Packard Working Powers On + Case RAM

$275.00



Rowallan Scotland Vintage Genuine Leather Briefcase/Messenger Bag 3-Piece Set picture

Rowallan Scotland Vintage Genuine Leather Briefcase/Messenger Bag 3-Piece Set

$399.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Ethernet Network Card 820-0207-A 1987 NuBus Adapter picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Ethernet Network Card 820-0207-A 1987 NuBus Adapter

$55.00



Vintage DataArm RBX Ergonomic Computer Arm Supports Desk Mount Pair Wrist Rests picture

Vintage DataArm RBX Ergonomic Computer Arm Supports Desk Mount Pair Wrist Rests

$99.99



Vintage Computerworld Pinback Button Lot Minicomputer Lawsuits Tech 1970s picture

Vintage Computerworld Pinback Button Lot Minicomputer Lawsuits Tech 1970s

$29.95



Apple Keyboard for Macintosh SE, II ADB Desktop Bus Vintage M0116 ORANGE ALPS picture

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh SE, II ADB Desktop Bus Vintage M0116 ORANGE ALPS

$129.99



Apple Studio Display Monitor CRT 17

Apple Studio Display Monitor CRT 17" Clear Vintage Untested READ BROKEN STAND

$300.00



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99