Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: isapnp

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3

    isapnp

    When I try to boot using "failsafe" from my Knoppix 3.4 cd, I get an endless
    stream of error messages of the form

    isapnp: unexpected or unknown tag type X for logical device N (device 1), ignored

    where N increases by 1 each time and X cycles among 0xa, 0xae and 0xff.

    If I don't use failsafe the screen just goes blank until I press the reset button.

    The machine is a celeron 400 system with an Abit BH6 motherboard and a soundblaster 16 sound card. I'm pretty sure the cd itself is ok because it boots Knoppix with no problems on a newer Athlon machine.

    I can't see anything in the cheatcodes that is supposed to disable pnp detection. Is there any way of doing it? And if I can disable autodetection, is there a way of feeding Knoppix the correct information about my hardware?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Do you have isa-cards?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    Do you have isa-cards?
    Yes, sorry, I should have made it clear that the soundblaster card is an isa card.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3

    Re: isapnp

    [quote="evets"]When I try to boot using "failsafe" from my Knoppix 3.4 cd, I get an endless
    stream of error messages of the form

    isapnp: unexpected or unknown tag type X for logical device N (device 1), ignored
    /quote]

    If I type "knoppix noisapnp pnpbios=off" at the boot prompt, knoppix boots.
    It might be helpful to add a mention of noisapnp to the cheatcode
    documentation in case someone else has the same problem in the future.

    Once knoppix is running, I can successfully run
    isapnp isapnp.conf
    where the isapnp.conf file has been copied over from a redhat6 system that
    runs on the same machine. That would seem to indicate that the isapnp built
    into the kernel reads the device differently from the standalone isapnp program.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Version COMPLETE 3.5

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Box Set 18 Disks

$114.99



Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo picture

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo

$299.00



Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition picture

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition

$199.99



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Vintage PSS Ram 65 Memory Board MM2114N-L 32 Socketed picture

Vintage PSS Ram 65 Memory Board MM2114N-L 32 Socketed

$245.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22 OEM Bundle Complete Set 3.5

Vintage Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22 OEM Bundle Complete Set 3.5" Floppy Disks SEALED

$34.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Computer Travel Bag Tote Shoulder Side Bag with Strap picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Computer Travel Bag Tote Shoulder Side Bag with Strap

$125.00



MSI P4M900M2-L MS-7255 LGA 775 Motherboard Vintage Retro PC Open Box New NOS picture

MSI P4M900M2-L MS-7255 LGA 775 Motherboard Vintage Retro PC Open Box New NOS

$225.00



Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working picture

Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working

$55.55