Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: can only access flashdrive as root user - help!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111

    can only access flashdrive as root user - help!

    How can I access my USB flashdrive as the knoppix user instead of root?

    Under knoppix 3.3, I create a directory with knoppix as owner & group, all permissions +rwx. But when I mount the usb drive, it changes the directory owner & group to root, and denies read/write access to knoppix.

    As root, when I try to change the owner back to knoppix, I get "operation not permitted". Chmod +rwx on the directory (as root) doesnt work.

    BTW here is the last line of /etc/fstab (not changed by me):
    /dev/sda1 /usb vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

    Help!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    11
    I'm not sure what to do exactly, but it has to do with the word users. I think...It may also have to do with the umask....


    esher2292

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I think what you have should work but my line reads:

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,sync,umask=000 0 0

    (You can forget the sync entry for a simple flash drive.)

    Can you make sure (use kuser IYL) that knoppix is a member of the usb and disk groups?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Is it me, or am I just spacing out on this, correct me if I am wrong...

    Wouldn't "knoppix" also need to be in the group for "users" ? I think I had to add my user into that group, or at least ensure that it was included. ( I know it was some "group", either user, or users, or something like that? )

    Again, I may be way outta line on this one, just trying to help...
    Ms. Cuddles

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    ok, I found the problem - I had modified the knoppix.sh to mount the usb drive automatically which screwed it up. When I took that out, it worked!

Similar Threads

  1. KDE Access and User Accounts
    By zscola1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 10:54 AM
  2. only root-access to mounted drives
    By nightfrost in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:07 PM
  3. Can't access floppy as regular user
    By Dan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:14 PM
  4. hdb1 mount probs- works fine in root, carn't access in user
    By /Knoppix/Knewbie/ in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 10:28 AM
  5. Unable to access windows partition as user 'knoppix'
    By area in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 07:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$71.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB Wifi 8th/9th Geb 1151 Motherboard picture

Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB Wifi 8th/9th Geb 1151 Motherboard

$84.99



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99