-
Junior Member
registered user
ALSA issues
I did a search on this board but couldn't find anything to solve my problem:
I run a Knoppix 3.4 (2.6.5 kernel) HDD install on a PC with a SB Live soundcard.
When I got into IP-phones on Linux I ran into the problem that VoIP doesn't run properly with OSS (using kphone and Linphone). When I did set the sound-system manually to ALSA, all I got was an error message:
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
I then fingured that maybe I do not have a proper ALSA installed so I apt-cache searched for ALSA packages and apt-get installed knx-alsa. This, however, did not work properly due to some dependency issues. I then tried to solve the dependencies by installing the missing packages. Installing the missing packages didn't work either.
Since then, I always get the same error message when using apt-get install, even if the package to install has zero to do with ALSA (sorry this is in German):
root@DKHost:~# apt-get install mencoder-586
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
Sie möchten wahrscheinlich ,,apt-get -f install" aufrufen, um dies zu korrigieren:
Die folgenden Pakete haben nichterfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
alsa-base: Hängt ab: alsa-utils (>= 1.0.2-2) soll aber nicht installiert werden
E: Nichterfüllte Abhängigkeiten. Versuchen Sie ,,apt-get -f install" ohne jeglich Pakete (oder geben Sie eine Lösung an).
root@DKHost:~#
So, apparently there is a dependency conflict between alsa-base and alsa-utils. Doing "apt-get -f install" results in the following:
root@DKHost:~/stuff/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.5# apt-get -f install
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
Abhängigkeit werden korrigiert... Fertig
Die folgenden zusätzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
alsa-utils
Vorgeschlagene Pakete:
alsadriver
Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
alsa-utils
0 aktualisiert, 1 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 10 nicht aktualisiert.
2 nicht vollständig installiert oder entfernt.
Es müssen noch 0B von 129kB Archiven geholt werden.
Nach dem Auspacken werden 381kB Plattenplatz zusätzlich benutzt.
Möchten Sie fortfahren? [J/n] j
(Lese Datenbank ... 117554 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Entpacke alsa-utils (aus .../alsa-utils_1.0.4-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.4-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
versuche »/usr/bin/alsamixer« zu überschreiben, welches auch in Paket knx-alsa ist
dpkg-deb: Unterprozess paste getötet mit Signal (Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe))
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
/var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.4-1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Briefly, apt-get -f install tries to install alsa-utils, but dpkg fails because the package tries to install/overwrite alsamixer which is also a part of knx-alsa. As it is also part of knx-alsa, dpkg cannot overwrite /usr/bin/alsamixer.
I then tried to remove knx-alsa, which ended up like this:
root@DKHost:~# apt-get -f remove knx-alsa
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
Sie möchten wahrscheinlich ,,apt-get -f install" aufrufen, um dies zu korrigieren:
Die folgenden Pakete haben nichterfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
alsa-base: Hängt ab: alsa-utils (>= 1.0.2-2) soll aber nicht installiert werden
E: Nichterfüllte Abhängigkeiten. Versuchen Sie ,,apt-get -f install" ohne jeglich Pakete (oder geben Sie eine Lösung an).
root@DKHost:~#
Once again, apt-get couldn't get to work because of the alsa-bas/alsa-utils dependency. I got a final hint from a Linux/Knoppix-experienced friend (removing knx-alsa while installing alsa-utils at the same time), so I did the following:
root@DKHost:~# apt-get -f remove knx-alsa alsa-utils+
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
Vorgeschlagene Pakete:
alsadriver
Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:
knx-alsa
Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
alsa-utils
0 aktualisiert, 1 neu installiert, 1 zu entfernen und 10 nicht aktualisiert.
2 nicht vollständig installiert oder entfernt.
Es müssen noch 0B von 129kB Archiven geholt werden.
Nach dem Auspacken werden 2945kB Plattenplatz freigegeben sein.
Möchten Sie fortfahren? [J/n] j
(Lese Datenbank ... 117554 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Entpacke alsa-utils (aus .../alsa-utils_1.0.4-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.4-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
versuche »/usr/bin/alsamixer« zu überschreiben, welches auch in Paket knx-alsa ist
dpkg-deb: Unterprozess paste getötet mit Signal (Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe))
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
/var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.4-1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Yet again the same problem, alsamixer could not be written by dpkg because it is part of the (still not removed) knx-alsa.
In a nutshell, I am really stuck here. I have learned from my friend that many Knoppix-ALSA issues result from the fact that Knoppix uses a stripped down ALSA. The only way out is to (re-)install a freash and complete ALSA. I'd love to do it, but apparently I can neither remove the old ALSA, nor install a new one. Even when apt-get installing packages that have nothing to do with alsa, it won't work because of the alsa-base/alsa-utils error message coming up.
Can anyone help me with this? I thought about manually removing everything alsa from both, HD and installed package list. But then again, I have no clue how to do it properly.
Thanks for reading this long message and any help is appreciated!
David
Similar Threads
-
By Antaeus in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-13-2005, 04:00 AM
-
By beloncio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-16-2005, 01:09 PM
-
By Dextro in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-29-2004, 07:49 PM
-
By ScreamingTemporalDoom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
-
By dzogchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 16
Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99