Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: laptop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8

    laptop

    I read whatever I thought would be appropriate on the faqs, but am lost. I can not boot knoppix.
    I have a dell Lattitude CSx
    I would like to keep pcmcia seeing how my nic is on it.
    I am trying to boot via a modular CDROM
    how far I get
    Code:
    Welcome to the KNOPPIZ live Linux-on-CD!
    
    Enabling DMA acceleartion for hda    [stuff]
    Enabling DMA acceleration for hdc     [TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1802B]
    Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0 (hang)
    it does nothing else, please help me

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    There is a laptop-forum, a few lines down in the forum-menu.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8

    Re: laptop

    surpisingly enouhg I missed that & I actually looked

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8

    Re: laptop

    *edit*
    double post

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8
    Well I tried booting the disc on a different pc, it just gets to the Penguin and doesnt say anything and freezes, its a pentium 2, 512 ram, usb2 card, nic, ide controller, lots of stuff on the ide controller and usb2 card, what should I do

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedelf1
    Well I tried booting the disc on a different pc, it just gets to the Penguin and doesnt say anything and freezes, its a pentium 2, 512 ram, usb2 card, nic, ide controller, lots of stuff on the ide controller and usb2 card, what should I do
    Sounds like you maybe have a bad disk.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8
    re downloaded it with a different computer and burnt it with a different burner, outta my brother's collection of blanks different brand purchased at a different times, and it still happens the same way on both computers

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Still really sounds like a problem with the disk. There is some rare problems with certain brands of CD-ROM drives but I have an older Toshiba laptop & it reads the disk just fine so I doubt if it's that. You did burn the disk a an iso image, not just a regular data CD, right? You must have, I don't think it will even get that far if you didn't.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    Try disabling dma with 'knoppix nodma' at the boot prompt.

Similar Threads

  1. Laptop is getting very, very hot
    By matbehns in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:34 PM
  2. Thanks!! (about laptop)
    By objectconstant in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
  3. New Laptop, need some help
    By WolfCub in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 09:51 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 08:45 AM
  5. New Laptop
    By drlizau in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$345.00



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$295.00



​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested picture

​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested

$119.99



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



Computer Retrospective DDP-116 SEAC UNIVAC DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Cray-1 CDC 6600 picture

Computer Retrospective DDP-116 SEAC UNIVAC DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Cray-1 CDC 6600

$65.00



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00