Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Basic Linux Question and how it works in Knoppix?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    19

    Basic Linux Question and how it works in Knoppix?

    Please keep in mind that I am fairly new to Knoppix (linux in general knowledge of two weeks).

    Question #1: In Windows, most program are stored in C:\Program Files\DIRECTORY of APP (applications that follows standards). WHAT is the equivalent for Knoppix and Linux in general?

    Question #2:

    (A) Is there any way I can maintain the apps I install in Knoppix to be available everytime I reboot with CD without having to reinstall?

    (B) Basically, can my application that I install always be available using persistent home?

    (C) Do I have to manually to tell it to save to a certain location?

    (D) Where is that location (examples if possible please).

    Brief and comprehensive responses welcome...not too brief though that I say - HUHHHHH???

    Thank you everyone for your support and patience...I am almost free from XP.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Question #1: In Windows, most program are stored in C:\Program Files\DIRECTORY of APP (applications that follows standards). WHAT is the equivalent for Knoppix and Linux in general?

    open a command prompt type this:

    mc <enter>
    This is the midnight commander - it is your friend-it works from the command line OR a terminal window-it is included in many Linux distros. It is very easy to use. Learn it- it just takes some playing with and you'll get it. It can display different sorts of files in different colors. The executable programs are not necessarily listed with a name that explains their function. But to answer your question - many are stored in /bin & /usr/bin.

    (A) Is there any way I can maintain the apps I install in Knoppix to be available everytime I reboot with CD without having to reinstall?

    Not sure exactly what you are asking here but you can install Knopppix to a hard drive

    you can save customizations for the live cd on a floppy

    you can create your own custom cd with whatever you want more or less.

    As for the rest of your questions - go read the documentation on the knoppix website. It's all there just search.

Similar Threads

  1. chmode question basic newbee
    By plener in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 01:01 AM
  2. VERY basic and probably dumb question
    By BeckBristow in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 01:27 AM
  3. Basic Poor Mans - Question
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 04:24 AM
  4. Basic Question!
    By hybridus in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 10:24 PM
  5. An (I hope) basic networking question- linux newb
    By tl1moss in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 05:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$44.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, AUMOX PRO Home 5|5*1G Port, Black picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, AUMOX PRO Home 5|5*1G Port, Black

$8.95



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00



TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears picture

TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears

$99.99