-
Senior Member
registered user
Why do I need JAVA_HOME? I simply added the path to the PATH= line in etc/profile and all is well.
It strikes me that I should not have downloaded the javasdk*.bin and installed it by making it executable. I think they had a javasdk*.rpm I could have installed via alien. If I had done that I probably wouldn't have to do all this path stuff by hand, right? I've never had to do that with *.deb or *.rpm files....
Another thing, the dox on java.sun.com said to install the *.bin in /usr/local. I don't know why. If I had installed it in /usr/bin, would I have had to worry about the path as /usr/bin was already on my PATH?
TIA,
AJG
Similar Threads
-
By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant DL360 Gen 11 - Xeon Gold 5th Gen - 192 GB DDR5 ECC - 2x 240 GB SSD
$17000.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections
$60.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 11 - 2x Xeon Gold 6th Gen - 512 GB DDR5 - 2x 800 GB HDD
$15000.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W Unused
$189.00

Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205
$317.56

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50