Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Help NIC Problem!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157

    Help NIC Problem!

    Help, I don't know where to go about finding a "device manager" in Linux.

    I don't know what my NIC is, (Other then imbedded).

    My NIC gets discovered and works great in live boot, but not in knx2hd install.

    How do I fix it and configure it? Please explain in detail. I don't know Linux shortcuts yet.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    To configure your network card press the penquin icon on the taskbar next to Kmenu. Then select Network/Internet > Network card configuration. Select your card wich is mostly eth0 > then select dhcp.
    Hopefully this will help you out.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    Nope, It said that there were no supported network cards found.

    My problem is that it isn't even being detected. Yet if I boot from the cd it works perfect.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkah
    Nope, It said that there were no supported network cards found.

    My problem is that it isn't even being detected. Yet if I boot from the cd it works perfect.
    before you do what pulsar said you need to load the card's driver
    do a modprobe driver_name

    I am assuming you know the name of the driver ...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    If this was a windows OS I could do everything in a heart beat.

    I am new to *nix in every way!

    I don't even have my feet wet yet. I am doing this install for the first real time. I actually intend to use this one.

    I don't know the driver name, nor the NIC manufacturer. It is an on board NIC. I was hoping to get some information on how to find out what Knoppix CD knows, that the knx2hd install doesn't.

    Anyone know how to find out that information? Wanna tell me how to find it.

    Is there a device manager in Linux? Is there a command in the command line that would tell me?

    When I find out the driver name how do I install it in the knx2hd?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    No devicemanager, but a commandline:
    Code:
    lspci | grep Ethernet
    should help.
    lspci: LiSt PCI
    |: don't show the output, but send it to the next command, which is:
    grep: grep grabs a token (Ethernet) in the input, and prints the line, containing the token to the screen.
    For me it looks like this:
    00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    If there is no output, call lspci without grep. You might detect the device.

    The next step will be to try to load the kernelmodule, which is for me
    Code:
    modprobe 8139too
    - but step by step...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    So far so good. I loaded knoppix from the disk and did what you said, now I have some information for you.

    Here is my NIC info:
    0000:00:06.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 02)

    But now what do I need to do to get it up and running on the HD install?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    My next step was to search for the token '82557' in the kernel-sources:

    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    grep -R 82257 * 2>/dev/null
    grep is a command-line search utility.
    -R means: recursively, look in the subdirectorys
    82257 is the expression to search for
    * is the filepattern: every file
    2>/dev/null means: send errormessages (2=erroroutput, 1=normal output) to /dev/null, a phantom-device which means 'nowhere' (so it will not been sent to the console).

    Grep finds matches in:
    Code:
    drivers/net/eepro100.c
    drivers/net/e100.c
    drivers/pci/devlist.h
    drivers/pci/pci.ids
    I would guess the eepro100 is apropriate. We could read the sourcecode now, or simply test.
    I would prefer a simple test:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep eepro100
    lsmdo | grep e100
    should show, if one of these drivers is actually loaded.
    If none of these is loaded, I would try to load one of them, and perhaps - if errors occur, the other:
    (as root
    Code:
    modprobe eepro100
    modprobe e100
    No output indicates success.
    Next step on success is setup:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 up
    But now I wait for your response.

    Note: The driver could be compiled into the kernel, which would lead to no response when 'lsmod' is called, and maybe to an error, when 'modprobe' is called.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    My next step was to search for the token '82557' in the kernel-sources:

    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    grep -R 82257 * 2>/dev/null
    grep is a command-line search utility.
    -R means: recursively, look in the subdirectorys
    82257 is the expression to search for
    * is the filepattern: every file
    2>/dev/null means: send errormessages (2=erroroutput, 1=normal output) to /dev/null, a phantom-device which means 'nowhere' (so it will not been sent to the console).


    Grep finds matches in:
    Code:
    drivers/net/eepro100.c
    drivers/net/e100.c
    drivers/pci/devlist.h
    drivers/pci/pci.ids

    I didn't get this output at all, it just paused for a few seconds and then I got the empty prompt.

    I would guess the eepro100 is apropriate. We could read the sourcecode now, or simply test.
    I would prefer a simple test:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep eepro100
    lsmdo | grep e100
    should show, if one of these drivers is actually loaded.
    If none of these is loaded, I would try to load one of them, and perhaps - if errors occur, the other:
    (as root
    Code:
    modprobe eepro100
    modprobe e100
    No output indicates success.
    Next step on success is setup:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 up
    But now I wait for your response.

    Note: The driver could be compiled into the kernel, which would lead to no response when 'lsmod' is called, and maybe to an error, when 'modprobe' is called.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    I didn't get this output at all, it just paused for a few seconds and then I got the empty prompt.
    That needn't be a problem.
    Your installation is just without the kernel-sources, but the driver might be there though.
    The installed driver should be in /lib/modules/2.x.y/...somewhere
    with x.y as your major-minor kernel-numbers.

    Code:
    locate eepro100
    locate e100
    should show you without searching.

    Trying the next steps - lsmod (not lsmdo -sorry) and modprobe will tell you, if they don't find the driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Problem Unique to Knoppix Later Versions!(SIS problem!)
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
  2. Wierd Problem With USB Keyboard, Maybe Motherboard Problem
    By Triple Six in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 04:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA

$139.99



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Compaq PS/2 Rack Keyboard 128958-001 Assembly 128710-001 SpaceSaver picture

Vintage Compaq PS/2 Rack Keyboard 128958-001 Assembly 128710-001 SpaceSaver

$75.99



Vintage Schlesinger 17

Vintage Schlesinger 17" Leather Briefcase Classic Flap Whiskey Brown Attache EUC

$99.99



Timberland Vintage Heavy Duty Brown Leather Messenger Satchel Crossbody Bag picture

Timberland Vintage Heavy Duty Brown Leather Messenger Satchel Crossbody Bag

$127.77



Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s picture

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s

$169.99



Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM picture

Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM

$129.00