Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: knoppix stops loading after samba daemon

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23

    knoppix stops loading after samba daemon

    I don't remember asking to start samba (don't use it) but suddenly,
    this happened. bootup justs locks up there. help. How can I do an
    interactive startup?
    tia
    pgk

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23
    bump

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    More info needed: Are you using a hard disk install of Knoppix? Are you using LILO? Can you get to a bash prompt?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23

    on installed system...

    Knoppix is installed on my hda4 and I have used it for about a month. Don't know what happened to cause the normal lilo bootup to stop while
    loading samba daemons. It lists the two samba daemons and just stops there. I have a lilo graphical bootmgr but no failsafe selected and I can't get to a console. I tried to enter with the install disk but it says I have the wrong root password and I know I have the right keyboard and /mnt/hda4 selected. I can get to the mounted partition and my home directory but I can't find where to stop the samba daemon from loading.
    I hope I have elaborated enough.
    tia
    pgk

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    First the "truth in advertising" part: I'm just making (hopefully educated?) guesses here. I had to disable the /etc/init.d/hotplug script in Kanotix to avoid a bunch of boot-time errors this way, although it didn't halt the boot process.

    You should be able to hit the Tab key when the graphical LILO screen comes up, to get to a "boot:" prompt, either when booting from your hard drive or from a boot floppy. Then you can type "Linux 1" (or "Linux S" or "Linux -s" according to my source) to boot into single-user mode.

    Then try removing Samba from from your startup (/etc/rc*.d/ scripts) by issuing the command update-rc.d -f samba remove.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23

    thanks!

    Your suggestion of removing the startup script for samba worked.
    Many thanks. This is why I like the Linux os and the people who
    use it.
    pgk

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.8: booting stops at eth0
    By rgruhn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-02-2005, 05:30 AM
  2. How to enable telnet daemon on Knoppix ?
    By markraem in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 03:11 PM
  3. Automatically loading floppyconf & starting Samba?
    By Morf in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 01:00 AM
  4. After big Knoppix logo, it stops
    By gerjan in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 08:41 PM
  5. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules picture

Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules

$599.00



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$8999.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99