Salve audioaficionado!

>You aren't getting my point. I want a way to be full root in Knoppix
>while in the rescue mode, not running in root all the time.

I got your point, and that you like to have this feature can I
understand, also I would not like to use it personal. But the
question is, would it make Knoppix in average better, or would this
feature miss-educate a lot of newbies and also produce trouble,
becouse people did things they haven't understund, and lost
data or productivity and say in the end - Knoppix = GNU/LINUX = trouble?

>Of course we have to learn Linux but we need powerful tools once in a
>while to extract ourselves from very deep holes that we can fall >into.

You will not like my answer, but I would say, a person down't know
to use the GNU/Linux tools can make his problems only bigger.
Especaly for rescue tasks most commands haven't a "redo" or
second chance.
Before a Newbie will use KNOPPIX as rescue-tool, maybe also for
M$-world-problems, he should know what he is doing.

>I want a tool that will let me into any file of another fubar linux
>installation on my computer to get it back in working order rather
>than blow it away and reinstall.

There is no tool like this - it is the admin who will get it back in
working order. But what could go wrong?

- Biggest problem, the bootloader is disconfigured
But if you don't know how to use "lilo -C /tmp/mylilo.conf"
you have no chance

- Other idea the xserver is not running anymore
Knoppix is no special help, but you can look what Knoppix is using

- Data lost, you have made a backup & restore strategie before

- wrong, missing packages and conflicts- try to use the orignal
system.

General it is extreame to manipulate one system with another.
If you don't know what to change, you have no chance.

OK, lets make an example, "/" is full, because of this, KDE will
not start anymore. A graficaly system could be helpfull to delete
unnesseccary files or make free space by tar unused files.
IMHO if someone start to administrate his system this way, he
will never learn the power of GNU/Linux.

This brings us in disscussion, what is neccessary know to run
GNU/LINUX and administrate it himself?

BUT I see big differance of a Desktop System and a live-Linux
for demo, educadional and testing reasons.

Maybe some other in this forum join our disput and say ehat
they think about if such a grafical-root-modus as CheatCode option
at boot time.
Our position should be clear enough.

Friendly greetings
rob

PS: "disput" = fight for better solutions, not to harm persons