Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: How about logging in as root as an F2 option

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Since I have a few configs saved already, if I 'knoppix myconfig=scan 2' that would still pull in my configurations while starting me in tty 2?

    Once saved, this configuration should be how it starts every time when I enter my just my master cheat code 'knoppix myconfig=scan'. It works that way for my XFree86 xserver and wheelmouse once I've used the cheats to enable them.

    Well I tried it and startx got me a root session @ 600x800 from the run level 2 option. I saved the configs and rebooting with just myconfig got me a normal knoppix session. I think the dual knoppix/root kde switch worked best so far. How do you get into a Knoppix user session from the rl2 prompt?

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    How do you get into a Knoppix user session from the rl2 prompt?
    at the root prompt (#) use:
    su knoppix
    then:
    startx

    I've noticed that knoppix is not 100% predictable as far as running X sessions, I get different font sizes (maybe different screen resolutions) with different logins, and I haven't looked into it enough to see if there is a pattern.

    I like starting in runlevel 2 so that if I log out of kde the machine doesn't reboot.

    rock

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by RockMumbles
    I like starting in runlevel 2 so that if I log out of kde the machine doesn't reboot.

    rock
    That would be real handy when Klaus gets GNOME back on

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by RockMumbles
    How do you get into a Knoppix user session from the rl2 prompt?
    at the root prompt (#) use:
    su knoppix
    then:
    startx
    The way Knoppix does it usually is
    at the root prompt (#) use:
    init 5

    This way, it should fully behave like a regular booted Knoppix session. You also can go back from runlevel 5 to runlevel 2 with
    sudo init 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Option to enable root on knoppix-terminalserver
    By paulrbarnard in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2005, 01:46 PM
  2. logging out
    By artikid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 03:05 AM
  3. Logging off from bash
    By Salzi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 02:56 AM
  4. Issues logging in
    By MSTDLR in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 02:08 AM
  5. Logging problems: only root!!
    By Bleim in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 11:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server picture

Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server

$525.00



Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor

$225.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$374.48



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11 picture

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11

$450.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00