-
HELP; NEWB HERE! What do these intstructions mean?
I'm a newb, and am going to sound like an idiot but I have downloaded a program, and the instructions to install that were included in it confuse the heck out of me. I know how to open konsole and act as root, but beyond that, I'm close to useless. I've often seen on here many step by step guides including prompt commands given to newbs; something like that would be fantastic! I would really apreciate anybodies help! Here are the instructions I recieved.
Before running
==============
NOTE: nomad manager will need read/write access to /dev/parport0 (LPT1,
curently hardcoded). To allow access
a) be root (not good idea)
b) give the user you working from access to /dev/parport0. You can do this
in two ways:
1) (better) Check what group does /dev/parport0 belongs to. Add your user to that group.
Example: I run under user 'valters'. /dev/parport0 ownership belong to group 'lp'.
Switch to root, edit /etc/group file, on line lp:[someting] add ',valters' to end of line.
(As in: line in question in my /etc/groups it looks like this: 'lp
:7:daemon,lp,valters' ).
You must be root to edit /etc/group file.
2) (not good idea) Simply change /dev/parport0 permissions to be world readable/writable.
(As in: 'chmod a+rw /dev/parport0'). You must be root to change /dev/parport0 permissions.
Run
===
run './freenomad'.
NOTE: nomad manager will create debug log file in /tmp/nomad-debug.log.
This logfile will contain detailed debug output and hex dumps of player
commands/responses. Inspect the file to see what is not working...
Don't forget to delete /tmp/nomad-debug.log occasionally, it grows big fast.
Similar Threads
-
By tlo in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-29-2005, 01:04 PM
-
By AliveUD in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-08-2005, 10:02 PM
-
By knokoutned in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 01-02-2005, 04:55 PM
-
By bob bobbish in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:27 PM
-
By TotalLinuxNewb in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St...
$64.99

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$167.63

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H
$104.98

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

(2) Battery For FoxNoble Cordless Vacuum Cleaner GLBP01-6S26
$49.00

95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US
$21.98

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$80.66