Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: can only access flashdrive as root user - help!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111

    can only access flashdrive as root user - help!

    How can I access my USB flashdrive as the knoppix user instead of root?

    Under knoppix 3.3, I create a directory with knoppix as owner & group, all permissions +rwx. But when I mount the usb drive, it changes the directory owner & group to root, and denies read/write access to knoppix.

    As root, when I try to change the owner back to knoppix, I get "operation not permitted". Chmod +rwx on the directory (as root) doesnt work.

    BTW here is the last line of /etc/fstab (not changed by me):
    /dev/sda1 /usb vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

    Help!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    11
    I'm not sure what to do exactly, but it has to do with the word users. I think...It may also have to do with the umask....


    esher2292

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I think what you have should work but my line reads:

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,sync,umask=000 0 0

    (You can forget the sync entry for a simple flash drive.)

    Can you make sure (use kuser IYL) that knoppix is a member of the usb and disk groups?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Is it me, or am I just spacing out on this, correct me if I am wrong...

    Wouldn't "knoppix" also need to be in the group for "users" ? I think I had to add my user into that group, or at least ensure that it was included. ( I know it was some "group", either user, or users, or something like that? )

    Again, I may be way outta line on this one, just trying to help...
    Ms. Cuddles

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    ok, I found the problem - I had modified the knoppix.sh to mount the usb drive automatically which screwed it up. When I took that out, it worked!

Similar Threads

  1. KDE Access and User Accounts
    By zscola1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 10:54 AM
  2. only root-access to mounted drives
    By nightfrost in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:07 PM
  3. Can't access floppy as regular user
    By Dan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:14 PM
  4. hdb1 mount probs- works fine in root, carn't access in user
    By /Knoppix/Knewbie/ in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 10:28 AM
  5. Unable to access windows partition as user 'knoppix'
    By area in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 07:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit picture

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit

$44.99



Renaissance Media Recovery Computer Data Tape Reel TPT Certified 6250 BPI Super picture

Renaissance Media Recovery Computer Data Tape Reel TPT Certified 6250 BPI Super

$148.66



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is) picture

Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is)

$350.00



Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit Gold picture

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit Gold

$44.99



Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe picture

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe

$449.99



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE picture

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE

$299.99