-
HELP; NEWB HERE! What do these intstructions mean?
I'm a newb, and am going to sound like an idiot but I have downloaded a program, and the instructions to install that were included in it confuse the heck out of me. I know how to open konsole and act as root, but beyond that, I'm close to useless. I've often seen on here many step by step guides including prompt commands given to newbs; something like that would be fantastic! I would really apreciate anybodies help! Here are the instructions I recieved.
Before running
==============
NOTE: nomad manager will need read/write access to /dev/parport0 (LPT1,
curently hardcoded). To allow access
a) be root (not good idea)
b) give the user you working from access to /dev/parport0. You can do this
in two ways:
1) (better) Check what group does /dev/parport0 belongs to. Add your user to that group.
Example: I run under user 'valters'. /dev/parport0 ownership belong to group 'lp'.
Switch to root, edit /etc/group file, on line lp:[someting] add ',valters' to end of line.
(As in: line in question in my /etc/groups it looks like this: 'lp
:7:daemon,lp,valters' ).
You must be root to edit /etc/group file.
2) (not good idea) Simply change /dev/parport0 permissions to be world readable/writable.
(As in: 'chmod a+rw /dev/parport0'). You must be root to change /dev/parport0 permissions.
Run
===
run './freenomad'.
NOTE: nomad manager will create debug log file in /tmp/nomad-debug.log.
This logfile will contain detailed debug output and hex dumps of player
commands/responses. Inspect the file to see what is not working...
Don't forget to delete /tmp/nomad-debug.log occasionally, it grows big fast.
Similar Threads
-
By tlo in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-29-2005, 01:04 PM
-
By AliveUD in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-08-2005, 10:02 PM
-
By knokoutned in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 01-02-2005, 04:55 PM
-
By bob bobbish in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:27 PM
-
By TotalLinuxNewb in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW
$49.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9" 128GB Silver Wi-Fi SM-X400NZSAXAR
$206.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

Samsung Portable SSD T9 2TB USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 2000MB/s AES Drop Black
$325.00

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra
$20.99

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD
$59.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00

Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6" XE350XBA-K03US
$51.77