Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Noob needs help creating new user

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    45

    Noob needs help creating new user

    Great Forum! I have found lots of help here and I would be totally lost without it. Thanks to everyone for the help

    I installed 3.4 to my hard drive using the "beginner" scheme and the instructions in godot's post. That install required me to manually configure a static ip connection after every start until I found a hack to fix etc/network/interfaces and knoppix_autoconfig settings. All that made me wonder what "beginner" means.

    Then I tried an install using the "old" Debian scheme. That all went pretty smooth and I got a bootable system even though I bluddered through all the apt-get and dselect stuff. Now when I create a new user from root and then start the new user I have nothing but German and a windows interface I am unfamiliar with. I wish to set up a desktop similar to the Knoppix desktop. I tried modifying the basic Knoppix desktop settings but have never figured out how to save the changes. I guess the new user is the way to go if I can figure out how to do it. Can some one please steer me to some simple instructions on how to set up a new user in English and KDE

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    In the login manager when you choose KDE as session type it should pop up a Desktop Settings Wizard. If it doesn't pop up automagically it's in Kmenu -> Settings.
    If you use Kuser to create a new user be sure not to delete the old user before the new account works. That way you can go back and check the groups etc. the new user needs.

    Alternatively you could: http://www.deutsch-lernen.com/learn-...nline/e_dc.htm
    Sorry, couldn't resist

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    45
    Good One! Hehe. Ich kann Deutsches jetzt sprechen, das wenig zu Ihnen dankt. v

    Geez I never thought about that menu at the login. That's simple enough and I thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  2. creating a user in miniroot
    By saurav in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 04:31 PM
  3. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
  4. Added Another User but New user Cannot WebBrowse
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 05:47 AM
  5. How to set new user to be like default Knoppix user?
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99