Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Windows on knoppix

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30

    Windows on knoppix

    Well Hello everybody....
    I have just been tempted from Windows and I am using actually the latest Knoopix on my Asus laptop.
    The problem is that I need to use some Windows applicattions and I wanted to know if I could run windows on knoppix avoiding the idea of partitioning the hard disk and having to install both operating system.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I don't think so. What you are talking about is a Windows virtual machine that runs nattive in linux, and I haven't seen one. There are virtual machines that run in Windows, though, that you can use to run Knoppix.

    While this sounds like an attractive idea, VMs are painfully S-L-O-W!!!

    JD

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30
    Ok, then J.drake....I will go for the dual Operating System installation....
    Thanks for your help!



    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    I don't think so. What you are talking about is a Windows virtual machine that runs nattive in linux, and I haven't seen one. There are virtual machines that run in Windows, though, that you can use to run Knoppix.

    While this sounds like an attractive idea, VMs are painfully S-L-O-W!!!

    JD

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    Bochs can emulate windows up to xp, and there is vmware for linux. VMWare is the fastest, and it runs stuff perfectly, ive never had a problem with it. But VMWare is expensive, you can use the trial for about 30 days i think.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30
    Thanks! I apreciate you help.



    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroKun
    Bochs can emulate windows up to xp, and there is vmware for linux. VMWare is the fastest, and it runs stuff perfectly, ive never had a problem with it. But VMWare is expensive, you can use the trial for about 30 days i think.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Wine is runes windows programs pretty well (for me anyway)

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    try the other way round : linux on XP.

    http://www.colinux.org

    You get all the nice thing of XP and linux running at the same time.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    80
    Just a guess here but this user could be a GNU/Linux newbie and asked the wrong question. It sounds to me that his desire is to run those "needed" MS Windows based applications from his newly installed GNU/Linux( Knoppix ) OS.

    If that is the case, then WINE is definately the first thing to try. Then, it might be something like Win4Lin then one of the VM's like VMware. And if the default WINE installation in Knoppix doesn't work, you might try the Crossover Office version.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30
    Yes, I am a newbie....Since a company called SOFTWARE LEGAL (a layers company) chasing ilegal software installations...I decided to swich to linux. Here in Mendoza (Argentina) there is a LUG and I went to a public meeting....to know about this "linux" thing...Well...they showed knoppix....and here I am...

    The problems is that I am running an application on Internet Information Server of Microsoft, forcing me to watch it through Internet Explorer. Its an intranet system. I often show this app to customers....and I thought that I could run it with windows installed on Knoppix, avoiding both Operating System Installations....

    Anyway I do have in mind your comments about Wine....Hope to have been clearer!....Thanks!

    Why I am not asking local LUG guys?......they dont have a forum like this.....its excellent...Congratulations.


    Quote Originally Posted by locutus
    Just a guess here but this user could be a GNU/Linux newbie and asked the wrong question. It sounds to me that his desire is to run those "needed" MS Windows based applications from his newly installed GNU/Linux( Knoppix ) OS.

    If that is the case, then WINE is definately the first thing to try. Then, it might be something like Win4Lin then one of the VM's like VMware. And if the default WINE installation in Knoppix doesn't work, you might try the Crossover Office version.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiand
    Yes, I am a newbie....Since a company called SOFTWARE LEGAL (a layers company) chasing ilegal software installations...I decided to swich to linux. Here in Mendoza (Argentina) there is a LUG and I went to a public meeting....to know about this "linux" thing...Well...they showed knoppix....and here I am...

    The problems is that I am running an application on Internet Information Server of Microsoft, forcing me to watch it through Internet Explorer. Its an intranet system. I often show this app to customers....and I thought that I could run it with windows installed on Knoppix, avoiding both Operating System Installations....

    Anyway I do have in mind your comments about Wine....Hope to have been clearer!....Thanks!

    Why I am not asking local LUG guys?......they dont have a forum like this.....its excellent...Congratulations.


    Quote Originally Posted by locutus
    Just a guess here but this user could be a GNU/Linux newbie and asked the wrong question. It sounds to me that his desire is to run those "needed" MS Windows based applications from his newly installed GNU/Linux( Knoppix ) OS.

    If that is the case, then WINE is definately the first thing to try. Then, it might be something like Win4Lin then one of the VM's like VMware. And if the default WINE installation in Knoppix doesn't work, you might try the Crossover Office version.
    I see two issues here :

    1. IE, what version you must have ?
    2. copyright(legal)

    If you need an IE that is not freely distributed(i.e., it needs to go with certain Windows), using WINE is not going to help because of (2).

    Would Mozilla work ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Windows and Knoppix together on same HD
    By webgal318 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 06:00 PM
  2. knoppix on windows?
    By rex in forum Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 07:33 PM
  3. Knoppix from windows
    By Jafa in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 07:07 PM
  4. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
  5. Windows look for Knoppix
    By Hunkah in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 12:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD picture

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD

$84.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99