Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Install applications in Knoppix. Possible?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6

    Install applications in Knoppix. Possible?

    I want to know if I want to install, say GNUCash, in Knoppix if this is possible? Do I have to create a persistent homedir?? Any tips will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    It's already in Knoppix.

    But yes, it is possible with a persistent home. Click the docs tab at the top and read about it, or maybe use the search box to search the threads.

    JD

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6

    Where?


    I don't seem to find it anywhere!!. I've Knoppix 3.4.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Well, now that you've called me on it, I don't find it in 3.4 either!! I thought I remembered seeing it, but it may have been back from when I was using ver. 3.2

    My apologies!

    Perhaps I can help make up for my faulty memory by providing a link:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/


    JD

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    search for klik

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    83

    Re: Install applications in Knoppix. Possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by joelomar
    I want to know if I want to install, say GNUCash, in Knoppix if this is possible? Do I have to create a persistent homedir?? Any tips will be appreciated.

    which gnucash will tell you if it is installed or not

    if it is it will most lilkely be in /usr/bin/

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Well, that's probably true if you're talking about a HD installation of Knoppix. But given the nature of the question, I assumed we were talking about running from live CD. If you are using live CD, you can't change /usr/bin/, because it is hard-written on the CD, or it exists as a ramdisk which will disappear upon logoff. So, the best way I've found to install apps is to install to a persistent home directory, which will be defined by default as /home/knoppix/. Of course, there's nothing to stop you from setting up subdirectories of the persistent home, such as /home/knoppix/gnucash, or even /home/knoppix/usr/bin/gnucash.

    BTW, I looked for gnucash in the klik installer already, but didn't see a script for it. firebyrd is right that if an install script for gnucash is prepared under klik, that would be a particularly easy and effective way to install. Apparently, gnucash requires some degree of setup, which I haven't yet had time to figure out, so I'm really in no position to advise on that issue.

    JD

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6

    Tried installing on persistent home dir, but no dice.

    I tried installing it on the PHD, but I get a read only error from the package manager. Any ideas??

Similar Threads

  1. Adding applications to Knoppix DVD
    By jringerj in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
  2. New applications
    By alanblundellxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 12:01 PM
  3. No Applications on Install
    By Aspren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 04:51 AM
  4. Installing new applications in Knoppix (Not hdinstalled)
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 08:09 PM
  5. How do I remove/add applications to KNOPPIX(well linux)
    By garyng in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 07:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key& picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&

$69.90



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99