I am booting a generic P3 machine from a KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN CD ( no hard drive install). I have a Qlogic 1080 card installed, and a Quantum ATL Superloader library attached to it, with a SDLT 320 drive inside. Module qla1280 gets autoloaded, and I can access the drive through device /dev/nst0. When I start writing to a tape using tar or dump, it writes a little bit and then the system completely freezes, requiring a reset. However, when I boot the same machine from an Insert-1.2.8 CD ( which is a Knoppix mini-derivative ), everything works fine.
Any idea how I can debug this problem further?
Thanks
Igor

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.58