I am booting a generic P3 machine from a KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN CD ( no hard drive install). I have a Qlogic 1080 card installed, and a Quantum ATL Superloader library attached to it, with a SDLT 320 drive inside. Module qla1280 gets autoloaded, and I can access the drive through device /dev/nst0. When I start writing to a tape using tar or dump, it writes a little bit and then the system completely freezes, requiring a reset. However, when I boot the same machine from an Insert-1.2.8 CD ( which is a Knoppix mini-derivative ), everything works fine.
Any idea how I can debug this problem further?
Thanks
Igor

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive
$349.99
HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033
$125.00
Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$58.00
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99