-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
spartn119
Now that i have tried to use Knoppix to get on the internet and tried to get these configurations to work, i can't access my router. ....
PS: Im using 3.4 Knoppix
You mean you can't even get to it with Windows, or just that you can't get to it from Knoppix? I'm not surprised that you can't get to it from Knoppix, since your NIC doesn't seem to be working with Knoppix at all. If you can't get to it from Windows, and you can get to the Internet through it in Windows, that would be a real puzzle! I would then try accessing the Linksys with you mom or dad's systems. Maybe something is screwy in the Linksys and it isn't letting anyone log in.
I'm starting to run out of things that have worked for myself or others. Just one shot in the dark here would be to boot with the linux26 acpi=off noscsi cheat code and then to try the sudo mii-tool -r again and see if the result is any different (if it is then follow it with a netcardconfig).
Yea, with RR you don't use PPPoE at all, and you don't have to put a user/password in the router. Just be sure the right connection is selected and it should work fine.
You never answered any of the questions about windows updates. I certainly don't know that this is the problem, but it's something I've seen a lot. You also have not posted anything about the computer itself. Is it a desktop system and is the NIC on a seperate removable PCI card? (as opposed to a notebok with a built-in NIC or a desktop with the NIC on the motherboard}. I think the realtek chip you are using is available both on a card and built into systems. If it is a desktop system with a removable NIC, I would suggest swapping out the NIC. NIC cards are cheap, I have several on a shelf by me that were free after rebate. You could even add a NIC to a desktop with a built-in NIC if you have a free PCI slot. Also, if you do swap out the NIC (even with another RealTek, although I would expect you might use a different brand) I strongly urge you to do the following:
Insert the Knoppix CD before you shut down Windows and be sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD before hard disk (it likely is if you are already booting Knoppix). Then shuit down XP, UNPLUG the computer, and install the new NIC. Boot Knoppix and test it before WinXP ever has a chance to see that NIC (this is why I suggest that you put the CD in before shutting down XP, I would want to do the test without XP ever seeing the NIC). Report back if that works, and if it does check if Knoppix still can use the NIC after running WinXP and particullarly check if Knoppix can still use the NIC after the next few "security updates" that you accept.
Similar Threads
-
By Wrincle in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-15-2004, 04:12 AM
-
By Sebastian Mares in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-28-2004, 12:55 PM
-
By TheOddLinguist in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 06-27-2004, 12:36 AM
-
By SpankySTD in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-02-2004, 08:10 PM
-
By mikehallsted in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-15-2003, 03:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$177.21

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)
$189.99

Intel Core i7 11700F 2.5GHz 8 Core CPU Processor LGA1200 16MB Cache
$139.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98