Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Running on lower memory ??

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Vadodara
    Posts
    20

    Running on lower memory ??

    Is it possible to get Knoppix run on 64Mb RAM, Pentium I.
    I have changed my desktop to IceWM, as it takes low memory, but still, same error displaying "You need minimum 82Mb to run IceWM " appears.
    Does changing Ramdisk Size help to overcome such problems? What is the minimum size of Ramdisk needed to run Knoppix ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    have you got room for a swapfile on your hdd? a 64Mb would be enough, and then you could kill a few running processes ad save some there...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Vadodara
    Posts
    20

    No HDD

    I dont have HardDisk on my PC.
    Is it related to ramdisk??

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    Problem in running kde 3.4 only on 197 mb ram

    Hi

    I have used 3.3. I could boot and work on kde on my pc with 197mb ram.

    But 3.4 is not working with a comment states that KDE require minmum 81 mb. I have increased my ram to 368mb and i am getting the same problem

    other x server work icemaker / windows maker / xfce. But i have been used to working in kde. Can some body tell whether i can make kde work with certain tweaking.

    Why is the system not looking swap mamory

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    32 MB K3.3 XFCE running

    I'm running, albeit a bit slowly, on a 32MB Sony VAIO PCGF250 (350 Celeron). I installed K3.3 to hard drive, making sure a good-sized swap
    partition was there. Made XFCE my window manager. Seems OK. I'm not
    running any heavy apps.

    Before this, ran Morphix lite and LuitLinux, but found they were lacking some
    of the apps I wanted.

    JN

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    Running knoppix 3.4 ( kde ) in 197 mb ram

    Hi,

    I could make xfce / icemaker / windows maker work.

    But i am comfortable with kde. I had not created a swap partition. I had just created once partition but has sufficient space.

    do you think, by creating a swap partition, i can make knoppix kde work.
    Is there any way to create a partition from the existing space without deleting the partition.

    Is there any configuration by which i can tell the system to use a directory as the swap space

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    kde under knoppix 3.4

    I created a swap file enabled the swap partition and still kde is not working.

    Is it required to start the swap file swapon -a

Similar Threads

  1. Memory Problem running UML/MLN [SOLVED]
    By svenaron in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 09:18 PM
  2. Is my memory Gone?!
    By PCalitracck in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 03:04 AM
  3. USB Memory
    By pro-logic in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 10:26 PM
  4. Running Knoppix in without the X Server running....
    By Raineri in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
  5. 1 GB memory boot ISO image run entirely from memory?
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$99.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

$165.90



FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US picture

FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US

$349.00