I'll write one for you.
sudo knoppix-installer
Install lilo to mbr
reboot
done!
Can anyone point me to information about dual booting Windows 98SE and Knoppix V.3.4 ?
I'll write one for you.
sudo knoppix-installer
Install lilo to mbr
reboot
done!
Is this something I type in? And if so, where and when do I type this in?
You need to run the installer.
Be sure and put your boot loader on the MBR so that you can choose between OS's. It's really quite simple.Code:sudo knoppix-installer![]()
It may seem simple to you, but I have not used Knoppix before, and I need more information. I need a step by step instructions. Thanks
I'm doing the very same thing as we speak. I'l write some instructions if/when I'm successful.
So far:
I have run fdisk and made a DOS partition (fat32) for Windows and I have installed Windows 98 SE on it. I have read that it is best to install Windows first.
Next I plan to install knoppix on my other partition. I have installed knoppix on this hard drive before, but not dual boot. The hard disk installation is quite easy; it is the dual boot feature that I'm concerned about. But I'm sure I'll figure it out.
I'll let you know!
No, it's not that easy -- you forgot the first step: 1. Back up all critical data before even thinking about doing this, and make sure that you have installation disks of Windows and your favorite applications ready, and that you know how to do a clean install of everything if something bad happens. I know that this sounds like a step that can be disregarded, but just do a search on this forum and see how many people have hosed their systems by doing this, and are frantically scrambling for a way to save their financial data, MP3s, digital photos, or whatever. If this is a newbie's first time to do a dual boot, he's probably not competent enough in Linux to use Knoppix to rescue his Windows data without a lot of help, and he will probably be borrowing computers at the public library to come here and beg for help, and it will probably take 2 weeks or so to get his computer operational again with a portion of his data. Trust me, I've been there. MBRs are touchy things, and Windows won't boot if you hose them. Newbies also need to do the research to learn how to partition their hard drive, BEFORE they undertake this, so that they won't just be scratching their heads when it asks whether they want a swap file and how big they want it to be.Originally Posted by mzilikazi
I love dual boot, and I hope to do it again one day, but after my last experience I realized that I did not yet have the competence in Linux to rescue myself, so I'm making do with persistent home for now and hanging out here until I know that I'm ready.
JD
O.k., setting up dual boot with Win98 SE and knoppix 3.4 is easy as pie. Here are the steps:
1) First I removed all partitions using fdisk and then set up a new partition (FAT32) in the first half of my 12 GB hard disk. Of course, this step completely wipes all data from the computer, so back up everything before you start. Then format the new partition.
2) Then I installed Win 98 SE in the first partition (C: drive).
3) Then I inserted the knoppix CD that I burned from an ISO and booted my system.
4) Then I ran "sudo knx2hd" from the terminal program. There is an icon for it at the bottom of your knoppix screen.
5) The only tricky part of the installation was partitioning the linux partitions. You can probably find some help for that elsewhere, but I made a 256 MB swap partition and partitioned the rest in the other linux partition.
6) I did install lilo to the MBR.
7) Now when I start my system, lilo automatically comes up with a boot menu, including linux and Windows! It worked without a hitch.
I still want to make some modifications to lilo to start Windows by default, because I am the only person in the family who will be using linux. But that seems to be about it.
btw, can someone explain the boot options in lilo, or point me to a link? I'm not sure why there are 3 linux boot options. I just always take the top one. . .
If anyone has any corrections for this procedure, let me know and I will edit it accordingly.
Good luck!
Tony
what does MBR mean? and what is lilo? is that on the KNOPPIX disc?
I didn't forget anything. Why rewrite what's already been written in more than a dozen places on this site alone?Originally Posted by j.drake

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU
$99.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$693.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00