Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Video card upgrade with HD install?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4

    Video card upgrade with HD install?

    How can I get Knoppix to reconfigure the existing HD install to properly recognize a different video card? I am using Knoppix 3.4. The CD works fine with the new card, I just need the hardware dependant files updated. I prefer not to re-install as I will have to customize again the other stuff.

    Is this possible?

    Thanks-

    Tim

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    All you need to do is copy the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to the corresponding location on your HD install. Assuming your HD root partition is hdaN, do the following:

    boot from CD
    open a konsole
    $ sudo su -
    # mount /mnt/hdaN
    # cd /mnt/hdaN/etc
    # mv XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.bak
    # cp /etc/XF86Config-4 .
    # sync
    # cd
    # umount /mnt/hdaN
    reboot - your HD install should not work with you new HW.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4
    I guess I should have mentioned I tried that... I then ran into missing modules or incorrect modules. I switched from a Rage128 pro to a Radeon 8500. And I would like to test out a Geforce4 Mx440 next. Also want to try different soundcards, which seems to give it some grief too. I've also found that switching network cards requires manual reconfiguration.

    This is part of an experiment with MythTV configurations. I was thinking that Knoppix's ability to autoconfigure to almost all hardware made it an ideal platform for such tinkering, but it seems that ability doesn't work (at least by default) when you are on the hard drive. But I think there has got to be a simple wat to regenerate that hardware profile etc. This capability is in my mind one of the best reasons to use Knoppix on the HD.

    I see that /etc/init.d has some knoppix autoconfig scripts in it which properly detects the new hardware, but they don't seem to write the etc files. I guess I could look through the hd install script to find out what they copy.

    Or maybe the files in /etc/sysconfig are the key?

    Am I travelling across virgin territory here?

    Tim

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by ttait
    I guess I should have mentioned I tried that...
    Yes. When seeking help, one should always strive to provide as much relevant information as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttait
    I then ran into missing modules or incorrect modules.
    Probably your HD version is too different from the one you try on CD. Which kernel versions are you comparing?
    Quote Originally Posted by ttait
    I was thinking that Knoppix's ability to autoconfigure to almost all hardware made it an ideal platform for such tinkering, but it seems that ability doesn't work (at least by default) when you are on the hard drive..
    I hear the latest installer allows one to select knoppix mode - as opposed to debian mode - and then HW autodetection runs at every boot.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    Quote Originally Posted by ttait
    I guess I should have mentioned I tried that...
    Yes. When seeking help, one should always strive to provide as much relevant information as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttait
    I then ran into missing modules or incorrect modules.
    Probably your HD version is too different from the one you try on CD. Which kernel versions are you comparing?
    Quote Originally Posted by ttait
    I was thinking that Knoppix's ability to autoconfigure to almost all hardware made it an ideal platform for such tinkering, but it seems that ability doesn't work (at least by default) when you are on the hard drive..
    I hear the latest installer allows one to select knoppix mode - as opposed to debian mode - and then HW autodetection runs at every boot.
    It is actually the same version (3.4 5-17 English) on the CD and HD. It is configured to do autodetection knoppix style (which 3.3 had too) but it seems to be very limited once it's on the HD. It seems to be pulling saved info from /etc/sysconfig/knoppix and /etc/sysconfig/xserver and maybe more to setup things, rather than a real autodetect like the CD does.

    The missing or incorrect modules relate to the changed hardware, and I don't know how that is setup.

    Tim

Similar Threads

  1. Video Card
    By MSPirate in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 04:21 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM
  3. Which video card should I buy
    By soapee01 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 10:47 AM
  4. ATI Rage Pro video card
    By elbe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 04:38 PM
  5. video card
    By Jason in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2002, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$136.01



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99