Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Can I fsck the HD install from the CD?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    Can I fsck the HD install from the CD?

    OK, first the problem: every so often (usually at a scheduled fsck) the HD install of 3.1 decides to mount /dev/null as read only. (I've no idea why: it seems that something is arbitarily setting the permissions to paranoid).

    Sometimes I've been able to get out of this by logging on as root and simply resetting the permissions. This time, I'm doomed: post fsck I get a bash prompt with:

    bash: /dev/null is read only

    repeated umpteen times. I can't even get a shell or a login -- it won't accept input. It looks like the only way back (I can't fsck from my SuSE as ef2fs is an earlier version) is to somehow do it from the CD. But I get the message:

    the filesystem must be mounted read/write (not a great idea when running fsck!) or you must be root.

    Ideas, please!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    This is what I did (and it worked!) thanks to the Debian and Linux Format lists for the answer!

    I got in by using the CD and knoppix 2. Mounting the offending drive and chmodding /dev/null 777 and then rebooting into the HD install had the effect of attempting to fsck the drive and reporting the same /dev/null read only problem, but fscking from knoppix 2 (not mounting, of course!) had the desired effect. On checking permissions, they're read/write for everyone.

    Looks like something may be reading the permissions wrong and reporting that to fsck, but I've no further ideas on that one!

    Sheesh! I'll re-build the kernel this weekend with a vanilla 2.4.20 and look at maybe putting a different version of fsck on.

    Any ideas what might be causing this strange and -- to me -- baffling issue would be very welcome, as wierdness aside, I like what I've got (but the learning curve is pretty steep).

Similar Threads

  1. Blinking screen after run fsck
    By Doni in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 09:28 AM
  2. fsck not running on max mount count
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 05:52 PM
  3. Problems with 2.6.1 kernels and fsck
    By bobalex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
  4. Need to run fsck manually during every reboot
    By ramu_i in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 08:26 AM
  5. fsck and Knoppix partition
    By billstei in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2002, 12:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box picture

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box

$299.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor picture

AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor

$399.00



Lot of 21 Intel Core i7 8thGen CPU Processors picture

Lot of 21 Intel Core i7 8thGen CPU Processors

$1599.99



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$365.00