-
Senior Member
registered user
Can I fsck the HD install from the CD?
OK, first the problem: every so often (usually at a scheduled fsck) the HD install of 3.1 decides to mount /dev/null as read only. (I've no idea why: it seems that something is arbitarily setting the permissions to paranoid).
Sometimes I've been able to get out of this by logging on as root and simply resetting the permissions. This time, I'm doomed: post fsck I get a bash prompt with:
bash: /dev/null is read only
repeated umpteen times. I can't even get a shell or a login -- it won't accept input. It looks like the only way back (I can't fsck from my SuSE as ef2fs is an earlier version) is to somehow do it from the CD. But I get the message:
the filesystem must be mounted read/write (not a great idea when running fsck!) or you must be root.
Ideas, please!
Similar Threads
-
By Doni in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-10-2004, 09:28 AM
-
By nishtya in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-02-2004, 05:52 PM
-
By bobalex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
-
By ramu_i in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 08:26 AM
-
By billstei in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-30-2002, 12:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Lot Of 8 - Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2400T DDR4 Server RAM Memory ECC
$615.00

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

LAPTOP RAM MEMORY GIGASTONE 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz PC5-44800 Unbuffered
$350.00