-
Senior Member
registered user
Can I fsck the HD install from the CD?
OK, first the problem: every so often (usually at a scheduled fsck) the HD install of 3.1 decides to mount /dev/null as read only. (I've no idea why: it seems that something is arbitarily setting the permissions to paranoid).
Sometimes I've been able to get out of this by logging on as root and simply resetting the permissions. This time, I'm doomed: post fsck I get a bash prompt with:
bash: /dev/null is read only
repeated umpteen times. I can't even get a shell or a login -- it won't accept input. It looks like the only way back (I can't fsck from my SuSE as ef2fs is an earlier version) is to somehow do it from the CD. But I get the message:
the filesystem must be mounted read/write (not a great idea when running fsck!) or you must be root.
Ideas, please!
-
Senior Member
registered user
This is what I did (and it worked!) thanks to the Debian and Linux Format lists for the answer!
I got in by using the CD and knoppix 2. Mounting the offending drive and chmodding /dev/null 777 and then rebooting into the HD install had the effect of attempting to fsck the drive and reporting the same /dev/null read only problem, but fscking from knoppix 2 (not mounting, of course!) had the desired effect. On checking permissions, they're read/write for everyone.
Looks like something may be reading the permissions wrong and reporting that to fsck, but I've no further ideas on that one!
Sheesh! I'll re-build the kernel this weekend with a vanilla 2.4.20 and look at maybe putting a different version of fsck on.
Any ideas what might be causing this strange and -- to me -- baffling issue would be very welcome, as wierdness aside, I like what I've got (but the learning curve is pretty steep).
Similar Threads
-
By Doni in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-10-2004, 09:28 AM
-
By nishtya in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-02-2004, 05:52 PM
-
By bobalex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
-
By ramu_i in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 08:26 AM
-
By billstei in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-30-2002, 12:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00

Protectli Vault FW4A 4-Port Firewall Intel E3845 AES-NI 4GB RAM 120GB mSATA
$169.99

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50