Hello.
I run knoppix off my laptop HDD. I had it setup to autologin, but then I removed the xdm and kdm and it has been booting straight into the root console, not really a problem since I then just su into my account (not great I know).
Anyway, now I want to add another user to my computer but I can't get it to stop booting straight into root. I really just want a console login, but I tried reinstalling xdm and kdm but they do not work.
Aat boot it says
"starting xdm" but then it just goes straight to console. startx starts the x manager just fine, so I know x is not the problem. Also, typing xdm starts X and has the login window.
At the console, runlevel returns N 5, so I know it should be running graphical.
I guess I must have bodged a script somewhere, but where, and which one?
To summarise, I would like the computer to boot to a non-graphical login session, but instead automagically logs into root. What script controls this?
Thanks for any help you can give,
Luke

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00
Western Digital WD121PURP 12TB SATA 3.5" Purple Pro Surveillance Hard Drive
$275.00
Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00
Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00
Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*
$319.79
HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95
WD Red 2TB SATA NAS 3.5" HDD WD20EFRX - SMART TESTED, WIPED
$68.00
Dell Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0023 4TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive
$39.99