-
Auto login as root
Hello.
I run knoppix off my laptop HDD. I had it setup to autologin, but then I removed the xdm and kdm and it has been booting straight into the root console, not really a problem since I then just su into my account (not great I know).
Anyway, now I want to add another user to my computer but I can't get it to stop booting straight into root. I really just want a console login, but I tried reinstalling xdm and kdm but they do not work.
Aat boot it says
"starting xdm" but then it just goes straight to console. startx starts the x manager just fine, so I know x is not the problem. Also, typing xdm starts X and has the login window.
At the console, runlevel returns N 5, so I know it should be running graphical.
I guess I must have bodged a script somewhere, but where, and which one?
To summarise, I would like the computer to boot to a non-graphical login session, but instead automagically logs into root. What script controls this?
Thanks for any help you can give,
Luke
Similar Threads
-
By rhybeka in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 01:43 AM
-
By bsjawle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 15
Last Post: 04-09-2005, 05:02 AM
-
By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 11:52 PM
-
By mienque in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 06:15 AM
-
By bonecrusher in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99