Hello.
I run knoppix off my laptop HDD. I had it setup to autologin, but then I removed the xdm and kdm and it has been booting straight into the root console, not really a problem since I then just su into my account (not great I know).
Anyway, now I want to add another user to my computer but I can't get it to stop booting straight into root. I really just want a console login, but I tried reinstalling xdm and kdm but they do not work.
Aat boot it says
"starting xdm" but then it just goes straight to console. startx starts the x manager just fine, so I know x is not the problem. Also, typing xdm starts X and has the login window.
At the console, runlevel returns N 5, so I know it should be running graphical.
I guess I must have bodged a script somewhere, but where, and which one?
To summarise, I would like the computer to boot to a non-graphical login session, but instead automagically logs into root. What script controls this?
Thanks for any help you can give,
Luke

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99
Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00