Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: bootable floppy

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3

    bootable floppy

    I installed knoppix on the HD, without making bootable floppy when the installation was running.
    How can I make bootable floppy now, when the knoppix is on the HD?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Aachen, Europe
    Posts
    85
    see http://www.knoppix.net/docs/

    or when you have the Knoppix-CD mountet to /cdrom
    and a fd without importand data use shell:
    (all data on fd will be overwritten)

    dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

    rob

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Aachen, Europe
    Posts
    85
    PS: I don't know if this fd boots only CD-Roms or also your
    hd-installation. I don't use fd anymore........

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Michel
    PS: I don't know if this fd boots only CD-Roms or also your
    hd-installation. I don't use fd anymore........
    I understand. But I want to be shure, that I am on the secure side. I switched from indows recently and still have "gaps" in understanding linux. I just want possibility to boot into hd installed knppix, if sth happens with boot sector or lilo. And this ican happen, if you have more partitions on the disk.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Aachen, Europe
    Posts
    85
    Salve o_corn!

    >I understand. But I want to be shure, that I am on the secure side. I >switched from indows recently and still have "gaps" in understanding >linux.

    I hoped someone other take-over and explaind you better what I havn't.

    >I just want possibility to boot into hd installed knppix, if sth >happens with boot sector or lilo. And this ican happen, if you have >more partitions on the disk.
    I fear what I wrote would only help for booting CD-ROMs.
    A command like mkbootfd would not be bad-
    BUT now you have a KNOPPIX CD.

    I can remember, years ago that I fight with lilo, faild and
    couln'd boot my system anymore. If today something would go
    wrong, I could take a Knoppix-CD to repair this fault.

    Read http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html to learn more about LILO.
    AFAI kow you can use boot=fd0 in your lilo.config to write LILO to
    your floppy.
    A good toutorial to become familar with GNU/Linux is the rutebook:
    http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/rute.html.gz

    Beside my opinion, that Knoppix as rescue-tool is better
    than a boot-disc, your question is still unanswered, and a good one:
    How to make a bootdisc later?

    Greetings
    rob

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3
    Thank you. I have to say that it helps me a lot. I just turned upside down my thinking about the "problem". I am still thinking too windowish.

Similar Threads

  1. Question about KNOPPIX bootable floppy image with GRUB
    By wslkevin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 05:31 AM
  2. Install Knoppix withou bootable device like floppy or CD
    By jrsath0me in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 06:55 PM
  3. Missing Files Floppy and CDrom Can't Mount Floppy or CD
    By SkyHawk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:40 AM
  4. Bootable floppy for USB Knoppix
    By Zentesis in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 08:45 PM
  5. Bootable UDF CD-RW possible?
    By infoMafia in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 06:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300 48-Port Managed L4 Ethernet Switch, 10GbE/GbE, Modular 1U picture

Juniper EX2300 48-Port Managed L4 Ethernet Switch, 10GbE/GbE, Modular 1U

$758.09



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99