Attempting to salvage a bad remaster...I copied a modified Knoppix filesystem over top of an existing one. Everything works but apt-get /dpkg packages list only shows the packages from the second (modified) system. The packages from the original system are still there but I can't remove or update them because they are not listed in the system packages list.
How can I get dpkg to search the system & make up a new packages list including all that is there? I tried dpkg -C, which is supposed to find partially installed packages, it didn't do anything.

Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK -SEALED - OEM
$8.88
Vintage IBM 5140 PC Convertible Power Supply AC Adapter Charger 2684292 OEM
$39.99
IBM 5763-SS1 R02M00 AS/400 Cumulative PTFS Operating System/400 V3 LOT 6 OEM New
$999.99
2025 NEW Genuine OEM BATTERY for IBM 00Y4643 00Y4594 90Y7689 90Y7632 V3700 V3500
$119.00
IBM OEM Genuine 1969-009 CD Driver Untested As PARTS. Read Description.
$32.99
IBM 6450350 OEM PS/2 2-Button Ball Mouse NEW NOS Made in Japan
$19.99
IBM OEM Genuine 1969-010 CD Driver Untested
$40.49
IBM OEM Model DTTA-371440 14.4 GB 12V 500 A
$70.00
IBM KB-9910 PS2 Keyboard Black Full Size Wired OEM 37L2551 Classic PC Tested
$19.03
IBM Keyboard Model KB-8923 UNTESTED Vintage Genuine OEM
$18.95