-
The Ultimate CD for friends and family
Excuse my ignorance if it shows below. I can't help but think that Knoppix is the perfect platform for internet PCs for people who don't really understand PCs (or should I say windows!).. I am quite PC literate and know what I need to do to keep my windows machine operational. ie backup, anti-virus, firewall, spyware, tuning, etc. What bugs the hell out of me is the number of PCs I have given to friends and family and they (thru no fault of their own) end up with a virus or worm or somehow manage to screw up a PC I spent considerable time setting up.
SO.. WHATS THE IDEA.. A Knoppix/Linux script/GUI and maybe even a Windows one (to suck in Windows users) that could be run to create a preset Knoppix CD configuration that was tailored for them or whoever. It would include:
*) Internet connectivity configuration details as appropriate. Modem initi scripts, PPOE credentials, ISDN settings
*) Screen config.
*) Printer configuration.
*) Scanner configuration.
*) Home location (HDD, USB memory stick, other?)
*) Mouse config
*) Specific VNC config (actived only when they initiate it) so that I or some other IT wizz could remotely support their Knoppix use over/thru the internet...
*) etc, etc.
It would need to have firewalling turned on by default and I'm sure a bunch of you other guys can nominate other configurational settings which would ensure that the PC was as safe as it could possible be!
The end result would be that friends and family could still keep their Windows PC for internet disconnected operation, but when they wanted to connect to the internet they could use Knoppix. OR how knows they might even trash their windows config totally.
I understand that Save config and Persistent home go part of the way there.. But as I understand it, with V3.4 you have to specify myconf on startup. I want something (and I am sure a load of other techos would like it for friends and family) where their 'friends' simply insert CD (Knoppix), Boot floppy (something like smartbootmgr if required for booting of CD), USB memory stick (Knoppix configuration and perhaps Home storage) and away they go.
A mechanism to hold Knoppix and configuration info on the master CD would be even better. Being able to develop this Knoppix plus config CD interactivley CDRW would be great also..
If anyone has ever taken a look at CoyoteLinux (http://www.coyotelinux.com) they'll know what I mean. You can either run a Linux Script or a Windows GUI which creates a floppy boot firewall containing configurational information and in the example of Coyote Linux also the linux files to make it all work.
What yu think? Lets convert the world and make all our jobs easier. I don't want to make money out of this, just make all our jobs easier!
GregJ
Similar Threads
-
By evil_wiccan in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-05-2005, 03:44 PM
-
By RedLine in forum Networking
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-13-2004, 10:05 PM
-
By mrfocus in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-01-2003, 03:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Lot of 384GB of DDR4 ECC Memory, Mixed speeds/brands. 12 x 32GB sticks
$1000.00

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

One Lot of 50 SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P ECC RAM HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF Server
$2599.00

Lot Of 2 Samsung 64GB (1x64GB) 2Rx4 PC5-4800B DDR5 Ram ECC Server Memory Tested
$4389.99

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$378.00

HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$189.99