Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New Laptop

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    5

    New Laptop

    I'm trying to decide on a new laptop. My friend said take along a Knoppix CD and check the laptop before buying. But I have to buy over the net or by mail.
    Can anyone name a laptop which will have a DVD drive, network, modem (not essential) and enough grunt and RAM to happily run Knoppix?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Aachen, Europe
    Posts
    85

    Re: New Laptop

    Salve drlizau!

    >I'm trying to decide on a new laptop.
    Must it be a brand new one? A one year old one save money

    >My friend said take along a Knoppix CD and check the laptop before >buying. But I have to buy over the net or by mail.
    Good friend
    The trick is, when Knoppix runs, you know that the hardware is
    supported by GNU/LINUX.

    >Can anyone name a laptop which will have a DVD drive, network, modem >(not essential) and enough grunt and RAM to happily run >Knoppix?
    see: http://www.knoppixfr.org/index.php?p...hardware&cat=1
    but consider, that the hardware of same model can be different!

    DVD - sorry no experiances, but I can advise a CD-RW for a laptop,
    you can also buy a laptop with only CD-ROM and by a tiny CD-RW
    for 80 bugs and replace it yourself
    network - IMHO is a build in card is better than PCMCIA
    modem - Most build-in Modems are Windowsmodems - see www.linmodems.org
    grunt - My laptop has 600 Mhz and for a handinstalled Linux it is fast
    enough for videos
    RAM >= 128 MB is fine, more is more fun

    A big difference is how loud the laptop is. I have a 20 GB hd,
    but I prefer my 5 GB one, because the 20 GB is ugly loud.

    USB?
    FireWire?
    Wlan is nice, but PCMCIA WLAN good enough
    Sound - most Laptops have ugly sound.

    See also http://www.tuxmobil.org
    And remember, also the best laptop will be an old one in one year,
    so spend not to much money

    rob

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: New Laptop

    Quote Originally Posted by drlizau
    I'm trying to decide on a new laptop. Can anyone name a laptop which will have a DVD drive, network, modem (not essential) and enough grunt and RAM to happily run Knoppix?
    It would be easier if we knew where you live. Putting that information in your profile would let me know if I can suggest brands, models, etc. If I'm in the US and you're in Europe (for example), prices and models will vary.

    I agree with Robert Michel that a (roughly) year-old laptop is best. Not only less-expensive (you may find one on closeout), but more likely to be supported by Knoppix. There is a harware compatibility list out there, but I don't know which laptops are listed. Remember, too, that it takes less "horsepower" to run Linux smoothly than it does for Windows.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    5
    I'm in Oz, as in au. Models seem the same internationally, prices are high here. No the laptop doesn't have to be new, I want it for certain purposes only, and it will have any windows partition abolished immediately. I use sme server to get on the net at home, so working networking is more important than a modem (so I could put up with a winmodem, or try again to compile a new kernel to support linmodem)
    We have a Toshiba satellite 4600 at home, and although the network card was recognised under Knoppix it didn't actually function either with or without DHCP.
    The cost is not the most important thing, under a particular tax quirk I will pay about 5% of the cost and the Taxation office the rest.
    I looked at the NEC Versa S260 and E120 as they were very light but I have no idea what their Linux compatibility is, and they don't appear on the compatibility lists.
    Liz

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Aachen, Europe
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by drlizau
    I looked at the NEC Versa S260 and E120 as they were very light but I have no idea what their Linux compatibility is, and they don't appear on the compatibility lists.
    Liz
    Well NEC, seems to be smart Laptops (1,3 kg) but I haven't found
    information eiter.
    Some ideas:
    - post a most complete hardware components list, and try to check
    if the grafic chip, soundchip, usb-chip, northwestbridge... is
    supportet
    - Ask NEC
    - Find a NEC user and ask him to test Knoppix
    - Ask the vendor to test Knoppix for you (send him Knoppix via
    snailmail)
    - Go into a shop test the NEC and buy somewhere else
    - choose a Linux documentet Laptop
    - be a player and test it yourself
    - ask a M$-friend to buy your NEC if you don't like it
    - find a NEC GNU/Linux newsgroup/mailinglist
    - ask debian-laptop: http://tuxmobil.org/debian_linux.html


    But when you test them, please report about the result in as many places as you can!

    Good luck
    rob

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    199
    www.powernotebooks.com takes about $380(us) off of the price of their laptops if you choose to buy one without windows on it...

Similar Threads

  1. Laptop is getting very, very hot
    By matbehns in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:34 PM
  2. Thanks!! (about laptop)
    By objectconstant in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
  3. New Laptop, need some help
    By WolfCub in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 09:51 PM
  4. laptop
    By oneeyedelf1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:34 PM
  5. Laptop corrupts CD
    By gretchen in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 01:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5

HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)

$69.95



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99